Understanding Integration with ReFS and FastCloning

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Understanding Integration with ReFS and FastCloning

Veeam Logoby jb81 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi all, I made a simple lab to test the integration of veeam with ReFS: a backup server with Windows Server 2016 Standard, a Data Volume formatted in ReFS, and Veeam Backup&Replication 9.5update1.
I created 2 repositories on the ReFS Volume.
I configured a simple backup job (1vm) targeted the the first repository, and it runs fine (first full is about 15GB) and it took around 15 minutes.
Then I configured a backup copy job targeted to the second repository, and selected the backup job as source. It runs fine but I was expecting this job to be very quick (due to the fast clone APIs). Insted it took 15 minutes, copying all of the blocks of the original file, as it would be on a regular NTFS volume....
Is there something wrong or didn't I understand how it works with Veeam and ReFS integration?

Many thanks in advance.
jb81
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: JB81

Re: Understanding Integration with ReFS and FastCloning

Veeam Logoby Vandelete » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi jb81,

Read the next article Written by Luca for a more in depth look for ReFS integration.
Maybe this was the misinterpreted expected result.
I guess you where looking after "a-few-seconds-later" backup-copy-job succesfull...
but it does not quite function that way you wanted or expected it too, also in regards a "clone" as where you expected ReFS clone-functionality in a "back-up copy job".
Not to be mistaken with thin clone functionality at the storage level in terms of the Back-up copy job wich is a 1:1 relation to the original backup file as well in copied size.

http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/windows-2016-and-storage-spaces-as-a-veeam-backup-repository
Vandelete
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Wiwit van Wissen

Veeam Logoby vClintWyckoff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:45 pm 2 people like this post

First recommendation is to use 64K cluster size when you originally formatted the ReFS volume, not the default of 4K.

Second, Veeam Backup & Replication leverages Fast Clone for the following synthetic operations:

In backup jobs
•Merge of backup files
•Synthetic full backup
•Reverse incremental backup transformation
•Compact of full backup file

In backup copy job
•Merge of backup files
•Creation of archive full backups (synthetic method)
•Compact of full backup file

So in your case below on the backup job itself you'd see [fast clone] improvements when a Synthetic operation occurs or if you chose Reverse Incremental as the backup type when you created the job. Or on the BCJ you'd see [fast clone] improvements in the merge or in the GFS retention creation (4 Weekly Full, 12 Monthly Full...etc) or in compact.

Hope this helps.
vClintWyckoff
Veeam Software

Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Veeam Logoby lowlander » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks for explaining. Is it correct if we state that you will save storage when using a GFS schedule ? For example, a monthly backup is a pointer to a full backup with al its increments ?
lowlander
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby vClintWyckoff » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 pm 1 person likes this post

BCJ backups that benefit from the ReFS Space Savings are on the GFS portion. So to explain this - in the UI there's the check boxes that allow you to say I want to keep 4 Weekly Fulls, 12 Monthly Fulls etc. That is where you will see [fast clone].
vClintWyckoff
Veeam Software

Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication