Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Shaft
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Rucolas

Understanding job statistics

Post by Shaft »

Hello, I am trying to understand the information given in job statistics for backups in B&R v12. When I open statistics I see Processed: ,Read:, and Transferred:.

I assume Processed is the total size of all VMs in the job. This is not used but total size of the VM. Read: is the size of changes from last job run and Transferred is what is actually written to disk after compression. Please let me know if this is correct.

If I am correct above then if I edit the job and open virtual machines it shows a total size so this should be the same as Processed but mine are different. Can someone Explain this?

Thanks for the help
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Understanding job statistics

Post by haslund »

You can find this documented in the user guide here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... s-counters
About the difference in total size and processed, let's review:

First I'll create a new job and look at the 'Total size' metric under the 'Virtual machines' step:
This states 116 GB.

Now I've started the job and reviewed the statistics window and it shows me the VM size:
Here we can see the total size of the disks is actually 240.3 GB but 116.8 GB is used.
The 116 GB is matching the number from the 'Total size' metric.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

I did notice the 'Processed' value slightly differs:

In my case 116.8 vs 116.4 GB. Is this the difference you are seeing? or can you share your numbers and more details?
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
Shaft
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Rucolas

Post by Shaft »

From your second post showing the Processed as 116 GB and the "VM size 240..(116.8) mine match exactly. The variance is between the job statistics and the Edit job/Virtual machines like your first post. So am I correct for the READ and the TRANSFERED in Statistics?

I would supply attachments or a screen shot but I am not sure how. If you can provide me a link on how to do that I would appreciated it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Vince, yes, you're correct in your understanding of the 'Read' and 'Transferred' counts - those are the amount of data actually read out of the VM disks based on what was returned as the changes since the last job run and the amount of actually transferred data during the job (after skipping unnecessary blocks and compression).

As for screenshots, you can upload pictures to any public image-sharing resource and post a direct link. Thanks!