Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Understanding regular oracle aaip (no rman)

Post by theviking84 »

I'm trying to understand the Oracle backups a bit better as this is my first experience with Oracle at all. We have a windows vm which runs Oracle on it. Right now all we do is take an image level incremental backup every 15 min of the vm. I'd like to enable the AAIP settings and properly back up the Oracle databases this way.

I know with SQL, you just assign an account in sql that has rights to the databases and then the aaip will take care of it. You can set it for every 15 min and it just works. You can also back up the actual sql vm only once per day as far as image level, while the log backup still happens every 15 min.

So with oracle, from reading the below link and the NOTE area, it sounds like you must back up the vm image level every 15 or 20 min, AND have it perform the every 15 min log backup? Is that right or am I reading it wrong? My preference would be to back the vm up only once per day and do the oracle logs around the clock every 15 min...

Also in reading documentation it doesn't seem to clarify how permissions work. If I have a user account which is windows local admin is this sufficient in the aaip area to just throw it in there and turn on the oracle log backups? Or is there a need to put a user into oracle app on the windows vm itself?

Also, are there some guidelines on the "delete logs older than 24 hours" archive setting? Does this mean the logs that get deleted are already on the veeam repository anyway so its safe to use this option?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Understanding regular oracle aaip (no rman)

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The image-level backup is created by "parent" job on its own schedule. The "child" job processes logs once in an interval specified in job settings. You don't need to create image-level backup every 15 minutes, this is the default log backup interval.

You may refer to this page on our help center to get more information regarding the required permissions for guest processing including Oracle.

The logs deletion does not depend on the "child" job but the deletion will be triggered only if the "parent" job has been successfully completed. If the "parent" job is failed due to whatever reason, the logs remain untouched.

Thanks!