Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AshenOne
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ashen One

Understanding VEEAM Recovery process

Post by AshenOne »

Hello,

I'm currently looking at evaluating VEEAM and I have some questions regarding the recovery process for a VEEAM server. I'm trying to understand the process behind recovering VMs and files as well as the VEEAM server database if it's corrupted, but I'm not sure what to do in particular scenario where I'd need to re-establish my VEEAM Server/backup repositories. I was wondering if anyone could help me understand or point me in the right direction where I can find information on this?

The scenario:

Say I have a VEEAM server that takes snapshots of my data and stores it onto repositories hosted on a NAS storage. It then pushes it to tape for offsite backup at the end of every week. There's a failure in which my VEEAM server survives but the storage being the NAS containing my repositories doesn't.

In such a scenario, could I possibly re-create and synchronize the repositories based on the data I have on the tape? Or would I have to re-create the repositories from scratch on a new NAS and use the tapes as they are by re-importing and re-cataloging?

On a separate scenario, in the event that my VEEAM Server somehow dies but my config is backed up, am I able to re-sync the database to the repositories and tape after I restore the configuration?

Thanks for reading.

AshenOne
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Understanding VEEAM Recovery process

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

yes, you could restore from tape. But as long as you don't need to, I would just start a new backup chain. That can save a lot time (depending how many tapes you have and how long you store your data on the NAS file)

@configuration restore: correct. The only thing I can suggest is using encrypted configuration backup. By doing that, it will store all passwords in the configuration backup. Otherwise they are not stored in t he configuration backup for security reasons.

In worst case you could even start without configuration backups. The Veeam backup files are self-containing and you can just add them to inventory and start a restore (well, tape is some work depending on the amount of tapes for adding it to the inventory again).

Best regards,
Hannes