Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
staley
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: staley

Unexpected Yearly Backup

Post by staley »

My GFS backups aren't what I expect for my backup copy jobs.

Back in the spring of 2015 (March) we deployed about a dozen Veeam servers to all of our branch sites.

Recently we've had some cause to verify Veeam has the restore points available that we expect. What we've found doesn't make sense for the yearly backups. It's the same across all 12 servers.

Main backup jobs are set to run daily and keep 14 restore points.

Copy jobs target the main backup jobs, are set to run daily, with the following retention
14 daily
5 weekly (Sunday)
12 monthy (first Sunday)
3 yearly (first Sunday)

When looking at the backup properties. The weekly and monthly look correct. For the yearly backups I would expect to see one from Jan 6 - 2019, Jan 7 - 2018, and Jan 1 - 2017. Instead I see Jan 6 - 2018, April 1 - 2018, and Jan 6 - 2019.

It's the same across all of my servers. If it was just one or two I would chalk it up to a new chain being started etc...

Anyone have any clue as to why an April backup would get marked as a yearly? Would it be safe to delete the April restore point so the January 2018 one doesn't get expired when the next yearly gets marked?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Unexpected Yearly Backup

Post by Gostev »

Yes, GFS full backups are independent, so you can always delete them as necessary. As for why April backup has appeared in the first place, debug log investigation is required. The date itself is quite suspicious ;)