Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevenfoo
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steven Foo

Upgrade to Veeam 4.0 Guideline

Post by stevenfoo »

We have just received the information on Veeam 4.0 license.

We are planning to upgrade to 4.0 from 3.1. We are current running 3.1 with network backup via iSCSI NetApp.
All our ESX and ESXi version is running on 3.0 and 3.5 respectively.

Question

1) Will version 4.0 upgrade overwrite existing session, backup schedule, etc configuration ?

2) Where do I find a Veeam 4.0 upgrade documentation, requirements, etc ?

3) Are there any best practices documentation for running Veeam 4.0 ?

4) What are the precautions to take before upgrading ?

5) Our ESXi 3.5 is running on the free version. We purchase Veeam 3.1 prior to the annoucement that VMware have requested Veeam not to support free ESXi backup. So we were just lucky to have Veeam to continue supporting us. Will this new license that I receive for Veeam 4.0 still valid to to support our free ESXi 3.5 version ? Will this license also support us if we have upgrade our ESXi 3.5 to 4.0 free version later ?

Best Regards
Steven
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Upgrade to Veeam 4.0 Guideline

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Steven,

1-2. No, all your existing jobs, backup schedules and configuration will remain the same after an upgrade. Please have a look at our release notes, where you can find all the information about the upgrade, system requirements etc, which is all available on our website: Release Notes (you should be logged-in to the site to be able view this document).
3. For Best practises, and recommendations on backup modes please look through our User Guide.
4. There are no any precautions before running an upgrade.
5. As for using ESXi free, please refer to your sales representative or our support team, unless you've not done it already, so we could generate you the correct license that will cover the support for your ESXi free hosts.

Thank you.
jimhendo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Henderson

Re: Upgrade to Veeam 4.0 Guideline

Post by jimhendo »

Hi Steven,

I did an inplace upgrade over the top of my 3.1 install.

This was on Server 2008 x64 and we are using Vmware4.

The only thing to watch out for is the uninstall of Veeam 3.1 asked for a reboot of the server. Not such a problem as it is a backup/management server.

After the Veeam4 install it upgraded my exsisting SQL database and all my settings, backup jobs, backup logs were in Veeam4.

Very easy upgrade path!.