Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Upgrading 10 to 11 did not go well

Post by Robvil »

I started a upgrade of a VBR 10 to 11 this morning (11.0.0.837_20210319). This server has also Veeam O365 backup installed in version 5, so it was compatibel with VBR 11.
The server had sql express 2012 installed.

First i upgraded Veeam ONE which was successful. Then i proceeded with backup and replication, but it said the installation was managed by Enterprise manager, but this is not true anymore, as we removed Enterprise managed a long time ago. So i proceeded with the backup and replication upgrade. At some point it said "please insert disk" where i could press OK or cancel. I tried ok but it said the same, so i choosed cancel. (looking in the logs i could see it asked for the VeeamExplorerforExchange) I then re-tried the upgrade again, but it ended up in the same error message with "please insert disk".

Then i uninstalled all Veeam B&R and ONE applications, uninstalled SQL 2012 express and sql studio management. Rebooted server and did a fresh install of SQL express 2017, then Backup and recovery and imported my Veeam configuration backup with success. I rescan my repositories as Veeam told me to.
Afterwords i installed Veeam ONE and verified it worked, also verified my explores for teams, exchange, sharepoint and Onedrive worked from O365 backup.

A last i choosed to install Enterprise manager, but instead of asking for a SQL instance to use (my sql express 2017), it choose to install SQL express 2016. It worked but i do not need 2 sql servers on the same server, so i uninstalled Enterprise manager and SQL express 2016. Is this a bug or do Enterprise manager not work with SQL 2017?

One of my repositori servers is a physical Windows 2016. Doing backup to this works, but i tried to test guest file restore from this repository where mount server is the repository server ifself,
but this fails with "failed to mount files. Mounter is in failed state. Agent failed to process method (mount.genericmount).

A very long day indeed. Ended up open a support case, #04720642.

/Robert
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Upgrading 10 to 11 did not go well

Post by veremin »

SQL 2017 is fully supported by Enterprise Manager, so, no issues here. But to understand the root cause of the upgrade problem we need to investigate the setup logs, so, keep working with the support team. Thanks!
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

I am getting pretty good speed from my old iron.

veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Indeed, we've introduced number of improvements to the backup engine in version 11 which are mostly notable in all-in-one deployment. Check Other enhancements > Backup Engine section of What's New document. Thanks!
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil » 2 people like this post

A update. My mounting issue was not a Veeam problem, but caused by Watchguard TDR client.

Why I got upgrade installation failure, i never figured out.

Code: Select all

[25.03.2021 10:23:10][INFO] Installing Veeam products..
[25.03.2021 10:23:10][INFO] Installing Veeam Backup & Replication
[25.03.2021 10:24:28][INFO] Exception occurred (Veeam products installation section).
Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Fatal error during installation
   at Veeam.Setup.MsiLibrary.VmMsiCommon.CheckError(VmMsiDatabase db, UInt32 result)
   at Veeam.Setup.MsiLibrary.VmMsiCommon.InstallProduct(String product, String commandLine, Boolean& bReboot)
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.VmInstallProduct.RunInstallation(Boolean& bReboot)
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.VmInstallEngine.Install(ShowControlFunc showActionData, Boolean bRepair, Boolean bUpgrade, VmDialogEngineHandler m_dialogEngineHandler)
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.PredefinedDialogs.VmInstallDialog.m_installWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
And somehow during the upgrade if you have O365 backup installed also, it will prompt you for the Veeam Explore package, and not use it´s own package, but you do not get a change to select a package, only a OK or cancel.

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (60:30) [09:28:26:710]: Source is incorrect. Unable to open or validate MSI package I:\VeeamExplorerForExchange.msi.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you would like to, you can investigate this issue within the separate support ticket (the current one seems to have been opened for different problem - the one with Windows FLR). Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

And thanks for coming back to share the root cause!
Robvil
Expert

Post by Robvil »

veremin wrote: Mar 26, 2021 1:12 pm If you would like to, you can investigate this issue within the separate support ticket (the current one seems to have been opened for different problem - the one with Windows FLR). Thanks!
Thanks, but as it´s up and running now, i fine for now.