Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Upgrading to v12: convert to Postgres or not?

Post by mikeely »

We've got a fully-licensed copy of MSSQL for our Veeam stack currently. My question is: during the upgrade from 11 to 12 is there any advantage to moving over to PostgreSQL? I'd hate to fall into the sunk cost fallacy of "we spent extortionate amounts of money licensing SQL Server so we won't migrate off it" but if there really isn't any advantage with Postgres then there's no point in migrating.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Upgrading to v12: convert to Postgres or not?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

There really isn't any technical advantage with Postgres Mike, plus you will have less problems as I expect our Postgre integration will have some teething issues.

To be perfectly clear, it behaves exceptionally well based on the current support statistics (way better than I expected) but remember that bigger customers did not start adopting V12 yet. Most mid-size customers will start upgrading after the first bugfix patch is out, while the majority of enterprise customers will wait until 12a before making the move.