Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sketchy
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Pete Koehler

Use existing backups after

Post by sketchy »

Just looking for a few ideas on how best to proceed. I have most of my backup job selection sets based on VM's that live in folders in vCenter. I want to re-organize those folders (creating new folders), and the contents/VMs in them, but want to see if it is possible to preserve the existing full and incrementals, or if it is just best to re-seed. Any thoughts?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Use existing backups after

Post by foggy »

Pete, just to confirm, how VMs are currently added to the jobs - individually or via folders?
sketchy
Influencer

Post by sketchy »

Currently, the existing jobs are set so that the VMs are added by virtue of them being in each folder.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If VMs are added individually, then you can safely re-organize your folders. Since Veeam B&R tracks VMs by their unique IDs, they will be picked up by the jobs in whatever folder they are.
sketchy
Influencer

Post by sketchy »

Even if the folder represented it's own individual job? In other words.

Job #1:
Everything under "folder-A"

Job #2
Everything under "folder-b"

Job #3
Everything under "folder-c"

If one creates "Job #4" to have everything under folders A, B, and C included (with the idea that the previous jobs would be deactivated), will it pick up the backup data generated from those previous jobs?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Let's clarify it once more: how VMs are added into the jobs? What VI objects do you add in the list - individual VM objects or folder objects?
sketchy wrote:If one creates "Job #4" to have everything under folders A, B, and C included (with the idea that the previous jobs would be deactivated), will it pick up the backup data generated from those previous jobs?
You could map the new job to one of the old ones to pick up its existing backup files, however the rest of the VMs will be backed up from scratch.
sketchy
Influencer

Post by sketchy »

My apologies for not being clear. They've been added by the folder objects. My take on this now is that it seems like that I'll have to reseed. Not a huge deal on my local target. But I do have some remote target backups that would be nice to preserve.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can preserve backups files to be able to restore from them later. But after reorganizing folder structure, you would have to re-add VMs to the jobs and perform full backups. Though, as I said earlier, you could map some jobs to existing files, to avoid huge data transfer for the largest VMs, for example. The thing is, you cannot map multiple jobs to a single backup file or single job to multiple backups files, so some of the VMs most likely will be backed up from scratch.