Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Archipelego
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Kilner

Using Azure in Veeam for Offsite - How to

Post by Archipelego »

Hi all,
We currently have Veeam 9.5 U4 and are using it to back and replicate our VMWare VM's. Veeam runs backup jobs on a daily basis, then once per month carries out a copy job to a different repository. All onsite.

What I'd like to do is configure Veeam to send backups to Azure, either once per week or once per month.

I found the following website : https://www.carysun.com/step-by-step-to ... b-mvphour/ that talks you through some of the steps. I'm up to step 28, at which point the guide references making sure the extents are not the same as the target backup repository. This is the bit I'm confused at, as the extent is part of the current backup infrastructure.

Does anyone know of a guide as to how I can setup Veeam to do what I require? As I'm struggling a bit to find a definite answer to what I'm trying to achieve.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Using Azure in Veeam for Offsite - How to

Post by csydas »

Hi Jon,

The reason is that a Scale out Repository becomes a new logical repository, and this guide uses Backup Copies to produce GFS points. Backup Copies cannot use the same repo as both source and target, so that's why they advise this in the guide.

You can do this with regular backups too, you just need to figure out your retention schedule: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Basically, if the backup file isn't going to be touched by veeam anymore as part of jobs (as per my understanding), then it is eligible for offload. So you'd just need periodic Fulls in your backup chains. I seem to think there was a way to get backup copies to ignore the same repository limitation, but you'd need to check with Veeam I guess.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What backup files you're planning to offload to object storage? Backup files or backup copy files?

In the former case:

- create a Scale-Out Backup repository
- add backup repository (backup job pointed to) as performance extent to SOBR
- add object storage repository
- add object storage repository as capacity extent to SOBR

In the latter case:

- create Scale-Out Backup Repository
- point backup copy job to it
- add object storage repository
- add object storage repository as capacity extent to SOBR

Be aware, though, that in case of backup copy job, backup server offloads only GFS files to Capacity Tier (by design behaviour).

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

That statement refers to the fact that backup copy cannot use the same repository both as the source and the target one. Since you're building SOBR to be used as a target for a backup copy job, it cannot contain (as an extent) the repository that is already used as the target for regular jobs, since it will be used as the source. You can create another folder on the storage and make it a new repository though.