Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Using two different networks for copy job backups?

Post by mcsmithSOP »

We set up preferred networks for our local server network (not sure if that was necessary), as well as the IP ranges for our internet VPN tunnel between our local and offsite location.

We're currently running up to two concurrent backup copy jobs to our off-site location.

During business hours, we cannot send much (if any) data down the WAN to the remote location, but we would like to utilize it if possible at night since there is little traffic on it.

It doesn't look like you can shutdown a network completely, but you can throttle it down to an insignificant number.

My question is how would Veeam handle that situation? Would it utilize both networks or would it send the first job down the VPN and then a second job down the WAN? If it sent the second job down the WAN, would it switch over to the VPN when it was available? We don't want a job stuck on the WAN during business hours (when it would be severely throttled) when the VPN would become available at some point before the job on the WAN finished.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Using two different networks for copy job backups?

Post by foggy »

Hi Jason, could you please describe your setup in a bit more detail, so that I understand it better? Where Veeam B&R components are installed and to what networks they belong?

Basically, if both networks are available to Veeam B&R components (if I'm getting you right), then you could set one of them (VPN) as preferred one and it will be used when available (another network will be used otherwise). I'm not sure whether Veeam B&R is able to fail over to another available network while the job is running and the current network becomes unavailable, need to check, but it's definitely not the other way (no switch possible when the current network is ok, but another one becomes available).
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Re: Using two different networks for copy job backups?

Post by mcsmithSOP »

Our production server network is 192.168.1.0 and the WAN network in the remote site is 192.168.3.0. The backup data network (VPN tunnel) is 172.16.1.0 local and 172.16.3.0 remote.

All local Veeam components (server, proxy, repositories) have access to both 192.168.1.0 and 172.16.1.0 networks. The remote repository has access to 192.168.3.0 and 172.16.3.0

The preferred networks for backup and replication traffic are 192.168.1.0, 172.16.1.0, and 172.16.3.0.

The Global Network traffic rules are 172.16.1.0 - 172.16.3.0 and 172.16.3.0 - 172.16.1.0.

All backup copy jobs are scheduled to have continuous access to the network.

What we would like to do is set up a traffic rule for the WAN (192.168.1.0 - 192.168.3.0) but only have it available between 6PM and 4AM so we can utilize the extra bandwidth when it is available.

Our backup copy jobs are currently finishing between 9AM - 11AM on weekdays, and we'd like to get the copies off-site a little sooner if possible. As luck would have it, our most important VM needs to be backed up last locally, but we want to get the backup copy offsite as soon as possible. Long term we're looking at upgrading to Plus so we can utilize the WAN Accelerator but I need to wait for the next fiscal budget in a few months.