Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Using Veeam for DR of the SAN.

Post by larry »

I found that by replicating my VMs from the local SAN to the local ESX server disks I now have a DR plan in case my SAN was to become unavailable. I was using my old SAN for this but local disk in my ESX servers are a much cheaper option to maintain. Local disks are slow for some VMs but slow is better than down. After first round it takes just a few minutes and is 100 percet automatic.

Just one more use for Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Using Veeam for DR of the SAN.

Post by Gostev »

Very creative, and definitely useful thing to do considering that nobody is protected from something like this happening tomorrow... and did I mention this was written not by some random guy, but our very own tsightler? :wink:
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

That is why I stopped using Dell :evil:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Dell is OK, no better and no worse than other vendors. For over 15 years in software development I learnt myself there is no software without bugs... this kind of stuff used to happen before, and will continue to happen to all storage vendors from time to time.
Michael_6835
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Harris

Post by Michael_6835 »

I've never thought about doing things that way. My local disk just sit there, I have lots of open slots that can fit drives. This is something I will definitely come back to thank you for posting.

You mentioned in the other thread, that you are also replicating over to a dr site. I have yet to look at the replication side of things but is it possible to replicate to multiple areas?

This is something I plan to pursue later on this year.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Michael,

No, you cannot choose multiple destination targets for your replicas, but this feature is in our feature list for the next releases.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

Vitailiy. I have some VMs I replicate twice now. Once to one VC and once to the offsite VC using the offsite Veeam server. I have brought up both copies to test. Should I not do this ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Larry,

Michael was asking about choosing multiple destination targets within one job, and as I've said this feature is already listed in our feature list for next releases. But your scenario sounds ok for me, you may replicate VMs to as many locations as you want, but in this case you should configure a separate job for each location.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

thanks. Better safe than sorry :D