Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

Using veeamzip to restore vm host to different datastore

Post by ceez »

HI everyone,

We have a fully licensed B&R7 on a hyper-v shop but have one vmware server that's not part of the license and is running our exchange 2003 server. We use veeamzip for this server until we can move it onto hyper-v

Either way, I need to move the exchange server to a different virtual disk in our dell san. My plan is to attach a second virtual disk onto the vmware host and then use the restore entire vm feature and restore exchange onto the newly attached virtual disk. Once restored I will power off the source and leave the target running on the new virtual disk.

Is such option possible with veeamzip?

thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Using veeamzip to restore vm host to different datastore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Cesar,

If you just want to restore virtual disk to a new datastore, then yes, that would be possible to do. However, have you considered using Quick Migration job to move your Exchange server from one datastore to another?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Cesar,
ceez wrote:but have one vmware server that's not part of the license and is running our exchange 2003 server. We use veeamzip for this server until we can move it onto hyper-v
That`s a bit confusing. You`ve said vmware server is not licensed; but, you use veeamzip for the server.
If you have 2 licenses (say Enterprise edition and Free Version), there is a problem, since you can not mix and match different product editions in the same environment.

Do I understand correctly, your goal is to move virtual disk running on ESX(i) hypervisor to Hyper-V?
If yes you need an additional tool to do that since vSphere uses the VMDK (virtual machine disks) format, whereas Hyper-V uses VHD and VHDX (virtual hard disk and virtual hard disk extended).

Veeamzip is just a quick way to do a Full backup.

Thank you.
ceez
Enthusiast

Post by ceez »

@Vitality - I did not know (or remember of) quick migration. I looked into it and seems to do a live migration using veeam, so my source will stay powered on until the migration is complete, then bring the new one up with all the correct network settings and everything else.

@nshestakob - yeah that sounds confusing. We purchased veeam with enough licenses to cover 3 hyper-v hosts. We have a fourth host which is a vmware server which is licensed with essential and thus the only reason we can use veeamzip. And the goal after I move it out of the original datastore onto a new datastore is to convert this vmk vmware format onto a vhd hyper-v format, either using MS converter tool or 5nine converter tool.
ceez
Enthusiast

Post by ceez »

so i successfully migrated our exchange 2003 server using quick migration.

now my question is why did it create a 2nd vm called myservername_restored and instead of powering that one on and having the new datastore name it reconfigured the original server that was already in vsphere with the new datastore location and obviously powered it on. the _restored one is in a suspended state (the pause icon on the servername in vsphere).

is that the normal process?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to know that you have manged to migrate your Exchange server!
ceez wrote:now my question is why did it create a 2nd vm called myservername_restored and instead of powering that one on and having the new datastore name it reconfigured the original server that was already in vsphere with the new datastore location and obviously powered it on. the _restored one is in a suspended state (the pause icon on the servername in vsphere).

is that the normal process?
When you trigger QuickMigration job, Veeam creates a new VM at the new location and adds this suffix " _migrated" to its name. As to the original VM, then you can select either delete it after successful migration or keep it alive in a powered off state. You can choose what to do at the last step of the VM migration wizard.

Thanks!