Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

V11 10Gbit/s switches

Post by jamerson »

Hi guys,

we are testing the VEEAM CDP/ backup behind a 10GB switch.
the speed i am getting is 125MB/S,
with 1GB Switch i get between 80MB and 100MB.

this just for information and not a technicall tickets.
who is using V11 behind a 10GB switch? what is your CDP speed / backup Speed?

Thank you
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: V11 10BG switches

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
from a software perspective, 10Gbit/s is easy. With all-flash storage as source, the network becomes more and more often the bottleneck.

What I can say about speed improvements: MTU 9000 is recommended for CDP to get best speed.

Best regards,
Hannes
jamerson
Veteran

Re: V11 10Gbit/s switches

Post by jamerson »

Thank you for your answer.
i just noticed the firewall up link was still connected to the 1GB physical switch, maybe this why ?
do you suggest to create a seperate VLAN for CDP with 9000 MTU ?
can i add this somewhere on the veeam ?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

i just noticed the firewall up link was still connected to the 1GB physical switch, maybe this why ?
if the firewall is somehow in between the Veeam components, then this sounds like a very likely reason
do you suggest to create a seperate VLAN for CDP with 9000 MTU ?
only if all other bottlenecks (the firewall) were ruled out before _and_ you think it's still to slow. Reading the question again, I would say "stay with the defaults". MTU changes need to be done carefully to avoid different MTU sizes in one network which leads to fragmented frames. How to configure MTU depends on the switch / vendor / model. MTU size can be checked for example with ping and "don't fragment" set.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

We have today a meeting a questions has been raised.
can we create a vMkernel for CDP on the vCenter ?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, a dedicated VMkernel port with dedicated physical NIC is a recommendation for high bandwidth deployments. But I suggest to check the overall design first.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

we've got 10 Gbit/s between our servers, MTU is set to 9000 and it's no problem to for instance replicate with 1 GB (gigabyte) per second.
dcm-ebb
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Edward B

Post by dcm-ebb »

My speed did not improve at all when adding 10Gb cards to hosts and switch direct SFP+ copper cable connections. VMware configuration is the 10Gb as primary with 1Gb as failover. Very small deployment. Two hosts, less than 10 VMs. Physical distance less than 10ft or 3m between hosts and switches.

I have not yet tested with direct file copy to see if there is anything wrong with the network configuration or if it is something with the Veeam server configuration.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

in such a case, using tools like lanbench would help you to find out if a direct vm to vm connection (across the two hosts) delivers the expected bandwith, or at least an approximation. It might be that for instance you're disks were the bottleneck and therefor less data was transferred.
Michh
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Michh »

Our Veeam (v10) server with local ReFS storage on SATA discs is linked over iSCSI (which uses a 10 Gbit NIC) to a 10 Gbit switch, who is linked to our storage with fiber connections containing our SAS and SSD array. We use a dedicated vlan for this traffic and MTU is set to 9000-ish (because our switch required a slightly different value).
Also a small deployment with 2 hosts connected to the storage using 10 Gbit copper.

My speed tests between the BU server and the storage on a VM or the VM on the storage itself reads:

- Diskspd mentioned 150 MB/s to the SSD array and 100 MB/s to the SAS array.

- Using a tool provided by Veeam support (vixdisklib-rs.exe) I got these readings:
Average speed of 390 MB/S on SSD and an average of 57 MB/s to SAS.

- Veeam B&R mentions max 290 MB/s read and 140 MB/s transfer speeds on SSD and 40 MB/s read and 35 MB/s transfer speeds on SAS.
dcm-ebb
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Edward B

Post by dcm-ebb »

Getting a bit better performance now that I realize I had to remove the VMware E1000E virtual adapters and use the VMXNET 3 virtual adapters to get 10Gb on each Windows server. Tested the copy of files between Windows servers and speed improved from 100Mb range to 500Mb range for the ones plugged in to the 10Gb switch ports. Still need to set jumbo frames but waiting for a new switch install prior to doing that. Thanks for the feedback, it has been helpful in getting closer to the goal.