MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthias Beller

v12.1 Upgrade Wizard NDMP File to Tape

Post by MatzeB » 1 person likes this post

Hey Team,

yesterday i updated our Lab to v12.1.
During the Update there was a warning File to Tape Jobs will start consume licences....
I know the change from v11 to 12. But in My Case it was a v12 to v12.1 update and the job mentioned in the warning is an NDMP Job. It copies Files from a Netapp Filer via NDMP.

According to the helpcenter:
Support of NDMP servers backup to tape is included in the Veeam Universal License and does not consume Veeam licenses. When using a legacy socket-based license, the Enterprise Plus edition of Veeam Backup & Replication is required.

I have done some testing and backuped more than 500gb, the job does NOT consume any VUL/NAS licence. Therefore i job that this is a false positive warning in the upgrade wizard. Or are there any licence changes?

Support Case 07040736

Regards
Matze
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: v12.1 Upgrade Wizard NDMP File to Tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matze,

No worries regarding the NDMP jobs being licensed. NDMP backup continues to operate without capacity or instance license and requires only Veeam B&R Enterprise Plus edition.

It appears to be a bug with the upgrade notification: it is shown whenever you have a file to tape job. NDMP backup is built on top of file to tape job, thus the check works and shows you the notification whenever you have NDMP added as source, but this message is totally irrelevant for NDMP backups. We will fix it in next versions, thank you for your report!
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Post by stewsie » 1 person likes this post

Hi

I posted post508744.html#p508744 this today

I also have the same concerns

It looks like from the response from Dima P that there is no charge and it is a bug with the configuration check
No worries regarding the NDMP jobs being licensed. NDMP backup continues to operate without capacity or instance license and requires only Veeam B&R Enterprise Plus edition.

It appears to be a bug with the upgrade notification: it is shown whenever you have a file to tape job. NDMP backup is built on top of file to tape job, thus the check works and shows you the notification whenever you have NDMP added as source, but this message is totally irrelevant for NDMP backups. We will fix it in next versions, thank you for your report!
Is the above 100% correct and there are no charges for NDMP file to tape backups?
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB » 2 people like this post

Im not from veeam, but can confirm that after 12.1 NDMP does NOT consume any instance licenses. So just a bug in the upgrade wizard....

Regards
Matze
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Post by stewsie »

Thanks Matze for your response
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

The mentioned issue is indeed purely cosmetically and does not affect license consumption. We will fix this reporting glitch with the upcoming cumulative patch. Thank you!
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB » 2 people like this post

@stewsie its official now ;) Fixed in 12.1.1
NDMP tape jobs are erroneously included in the warning about File-to-Tape jobs requiring a license.
https://www.veeam.com/kb4510?ad=in-text-link