Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

v12 limitations

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

There are so many wizard limitations in v12 that didn't exist before and have no reason to exist. The latest frustrating one is this:

A CIFS repo is no longer available. I need to create a new CIFS repo, but I want to view the settings on the old. Yet, because the old is unreachable, I cannot get past the "Share" pane. Before v12, I could easily browser all the settings and gather the details I needed. The failure would only occur at the very end, for obvious reasons, but I would just cancel out anyway. I had no desire to make changes. I just wanted to view existing settings.

There are limitations like this all over the place now and the root cause is the same--if something is unreachable, the wizard is limited. You can't even view settings on various tabs. Usually you cannot get past the first or second tab. Sometimes, such in the case of replcia jobs that reference VMware servers or vCenters that are unreachable, you can't even edit the job to get the wizard up, let alone navigate through it to view the settings before cancelling out. Veeam just immediately complains and refuses to edit the job.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: v12 limitations

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello James

I'm seeing the same behavior when editing unavailable SMB shares in V11. This is not a new limitation of V12.

1) I'm on Version 11a.
2) Wizard is open at "Share"
3) I click on Next
4) I cannot proceed

Steps to open all properties:
To be able to access the other properties, please click directly on them in the menu on the left side. As long as you don't open "Share", you can switch between all steps of the wizard. It may be not optimal, but it still works as before in V11.

1) I'm on Version 12
2) I go to unavailable repository
3) I open properties of my unavailable NFS repository
4) I click on Repository
5) I open Advanced settings

Sometimes, such in the case of replcia jobs that reference VMware servers or vCenters that are unreachable, you can't even edit the job to get the wizard up, let alone navigate through it to view the settings before cancelling out. Veeam just immediately complains and refuses to edit the job.

I cannot run a test on that right now. But allow me a few questions.
How often does it happen that the hosts are not responsive and you need to edit the jobs? Have you considered using PowerShell to export those settings?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software