Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

[FAQ] v4 : Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Post by Gostev »

Licensing

Q: Do I need new license file to be able to install Veeam Backup & Replication 4?
A: Yes, you need license file for version 4.x to install Veeam Backup server. Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager does not require a license to be installed, however it can only manage licensed Veeam Backup 4.x servers.

Q: Is it a new purchase to go to version 4?
A: With VEEAM, all upgrades are "free" for customers on maintenance (including major releases). All new license purchases include 1 year of maintenance. If you bought Veeam Backup earlier than 1 year ago, you need to check if you are (and have always been) on maintenance, and thus eligible for free upgrade.

Q: Is it a new purchase for the new Enterprise Manager component?
A: No, Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager and Web UI are included at no additional cost.

Q: I am current customer on maintenance, how do I get the license file for version 4?
A: You should get it automatically via your Veeam registration email. If you don't get it, double-check your email including spam filtering locations, and contact Veeam Support. Note that we have also introduced the self-service licensing portal on http://www.veeam.com.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: Veeam Backup v4 FAQ

Post by Gostev »

vStorage API for Data Protection

Q: There are 3 processing modes available in v4: vStorage API, VCB and legacy Network, so which one should I use?
A: vStorage API is the single best choice for ESX(i) 4 hosts, as well as for ESX(i) 3.x hosts in case you have shared storage. vStorage API mode will provide better performance all around comparing to other processing modes. The legacy "Network" mode is usually slightly better choice for backups of ESX 3.x hosts with local storage. We are mostly keeping VCB and Network modes for compatibility/upgrade reasons, and do not except many customer to rely on those. Both of these modes are deprecated by vStorage API mode, and will be removed in the future releases (timelines will depend on the actual demand/feedback).

Q: Does vStorage API support ESX(i) 3.x, or it is for ESX(i) 4 only?
A: Yes, vStorage API supports both.

Q: Does changed block tracking work with ESX(i) 3.x hosts?
A: No, this functionality requires ESX(i) 4 and hardware version 7 virtual machines. Until you upgrade to ESX(i) 4 and version 7, you can continue using legacy, Veeam's proprietary changed block tracking mechanism for incremental backup and replication. However, fast incremental backup and near-CDP replication do require changed block tracking.

Q: Can I use changed block tracking in "VCB" and "Network" processing modes?
A: No, change block tracking is only available in the "vStorage API" processing mode.

Q: Will the changed block tracking "brake" if I backup and replicate the same VM? Or backup the same VM with different jobs and/or different servers?
A: There will be no issues, changed block tracking is designed to handle such scenarios.

Q: With vStorage API mode, do I still need to install VMware Consolidated Backup framework if I want to have direct from SAN backups?
A: No, you do not need to install VCB framework, Veeam Backup 4 can access the shared storage directly by itself.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

vStorage API SAN Mode

Q: How to configure the new Veeam Backup server for direct SAN access?
A: Disable automount, install and configure SAN HBA card (or iSCSI Software Initiator), give Veeam Backup server read permission on LUN (if applicable to your SAN), and ensure that you are seeing your VMFS volumes in the Windows Disk Management snap-in. Refer to the following thread for more information: Configuring new VEEAM Backup Server for SAN, also see 3rd party guides section below.

Q: What is the expected backup performance for SAN mode?
A: Full backup depends on your shared storage type and speed. Incremental backup also depends on ESX version (ESX4 changed block tracking provides for faster incrementals), and the amount of VM disk changes since last pass. Some real-world numbers (primarily for ESX4) are consolidated in the following document.

Q: Can I use SAN mode with NFS storage?
A: No, only block level access storage (FC and iSCSI) is supported for SAN mode. For NFS storage, consider the Virtual Appliance mode instead.

vStorage API Virtual Appliance Mode

Q: What is the most useful thread for starters?
A: vStorage API in Virtual Appliance mode

Q: What is the expected backup performance for Virtual Appliance mode?
A: Generally, similar to SAN mode, can be 10-20% faster on 4 vCPU Veeam Backup VM comparing to similar physical host due to ESX server generally having faster memory and server class CPU. Some real-world numbers (primarily for ESX4) are consolidated in the following document.

Q: Can I use Virtual Appliance mode with NFS storage? Local storage?
A: Yes. Any storage is fine - as long as it is connected to the ESX host running Veeam Backup VM.

vStorage API Network Mode

Q: Why this mode is so slow on ESX4?
A: Network backup slow on vSphere ESX 4.0 (resolution is now available)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Veeam VSS

If you're not that familar with Microsoft VSS and how it can provide transaction consistent image-level backups, you should read this blog post first:
What is Windows VSS & why you should care

Great insight on image-level backups of transactional applications with VMware, and what makes Veeam VSS so important and unique.
Hyper-V ahead of VMware in the backup race (nevermind the title)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

3rd Party Guides

Series of blog posts by Daryl Hunter @darylhunter about deploying, configuring and using Veeam Backup v4 in the real world environment (about 10TB of data to backup). Best practices and useful tips directly from Veeam Backup customer!

Part 1: Background & Installation
Part 1a: Upgrade v3 > v4
Part 2 (and a half): Servers & Jobs
Part 3: Our Setup

Configuring direct SAN access with Software iSCSI Initiator by Justin Paul
The Mission Manual Part 1: Veeam B & R Direct SAN Backups
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: [FAQ] Veeam Backup v4 : Frequently Asked Questions : Answers

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Synthetic