seapro220
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mark foster

V7 File Copy parameters

Post by seapro220 »

Hello all

My normal process to date is as follows -

Weekly full backups, with roll-ups so that i have 'clean' full vbk files each week (files are too large to ship via current internet connection) to ship/take offsite. Daily incrementals are copied offsite via robocopy jobs. I usually log into the system Sunday night and start the copy process. Although this is 'automation' it's not what I want.

I've started playing around with the File Copy option as a method of copying my vbk files over to my USB drive so that I can transport them to my remote site. Although this process will work, by specifying the specific vbk files - what will happen whenever the vbk files change weekly? Will I have to respecify the xxs.vbk file each week before I run the job? If so, this is inefficient as it requires the same process to be done - and there's no automation.. which is what I'm striving for. What would be nice, if possible, is to specify the vbk based off of the 'latest' or most current full.vbk file that way every week the file-job copy is using the most current file - as the source, whenever the copy job runs. This might be the case but I don't know yet - as I don't have multiple full.vbk files to test with.

Anybody else experiencing this, or have suggestions?

Once I have my remote dr/site configured I'll be testing out the remote-proxy options but haven't gotten that far yet.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V7 File Copy parameters

Post by foggy »

Seems that you should take a look at the new WAN accelerated backup copy job, available in Veeam B&R v7 right for scenarios like that. No need to have something specifically "configured" at the remote site, since you already have some Windows box there to send incrementals using robocopy, you can use it as a backup repository/WAN accelerator also. Probably this will allow you to stay within the limits of your connection, without the need to ship/transport something offsite.
seapro220
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mark foster

Post by seapro220 »

Yes, that is the plan.. in the future. However, it'll be a few weeks or more before I have some remote servers there that I can test/utilize a remote-repository with. I was hoping that someone had figured this out or this process was in the newer file copy version - as it was something I'd requesed about 7 months ago.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Anybody else experiencing this, or have suggestions?
Then, you can write a simple powershell script that will be responsible for finding the latest .vbk file in a given location and copying it to USB drive afterwards. Specify this script as a post-job activity that should be executed only on Sunday.

The following algorithm can be used in case of Robocopy:

Code: Select all

$LastVBK = Get-ChildItem $SourcePath\*.vbk| Sort-Object CreationTime -Descending | Select-Object -First 1| Get-ChildItem -name;
Robocopy $SourcePath $TargetPath $LastVBK;
However, I strongly suggest switching to backup copy job, as soon as possible.

Thanks.