Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

v8 configuration restore - tape issues

Post by Keyser »

Hi all.

Just a heads up about an issue with configuration backup/restore in v8.

I upgraded a v7 install to v8 with no issues, and today I wanted to migrate that to new hardware by using the configuration backup/restore feature.
Be advised that configuration restore has serious issues if the v8 server you migrate away from has done backup to tape. I have been unable to restore a config with the restore wizard throwing the following error:

Code: Select all

Error    IDENTITY_INSERT is already ON for table 'VeeamDB.dbo.Backup.Model.SbTaskSessions'. Cannot perform SET operation for table 'Tape.file_versions'.
I'm currently working with Veeam support on the issue, but they are apparently swamped in work as I'm seeing 3 hours+ delays on every response.
I suppose that's to expected but i'm a little annoyed they won't tell me about their situation, and instead chooses to stall with simple fairly useless queries for more info for every answer. It's been 12 hours now and we are still only exchanging useless information instead of working on the real issue.

Anyways, if youre planning to change server maybe wait until this issue has been resolved :D

But I really like the new features and the way they are implemented. So i'm looking forward to have this issue resolved and enjoy the new product.

I will keep this thread updated.

-Keyser
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: v8 configuration restore - tape issues

Post by Gostev »

Hi Keyser, please include support case ID in your post for our reference. Thanks!
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser »

Ohh sorry.

Case # 00674521

-Keyser
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks!

Currently, there are no "global", major known issues with configuration backup and restore, but we are running into some issues caused by invalid/unexpected tape configurations. For example, earlier today I was copied on the discussion about an issue where configuration restore was impacted by invalid configuration entries. It turned out that this was caused by a user attempting to use our tape integration with an unsupported tape library driver (aka Unknown Medium Changer) before installing vendor-specific driver, this was done back when he first installed v7. This created some invalid entries in tape medium tables, which make configuration restore to fail.

So your recommendation to wait does make sense. In fact, I always recommend not to jump the major releases, or at least don't get into complex transitions/migrations, and limit yourself do basic stuff (clean installs and in-place upgrades will rarely have issues, as you have confirmed yourself by now).

Just to set right expectations - these kind of issues normally take at least a few days for support to investigate, reproduce, develop and test a script that fixes the product configuration. So, it not realistic to expect a fix available in 12 hours (even just because required devs are not available 24/7).

And thank you for your kind words about all the new features, just noticed that part of your post ;)
mpozar
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by mpozar »

We experienced the same issue.

We had been running the RTM release and were experiencing issues with our Tape Backups with Veeam so when the GA release became available we decided to upgrade but found we could not upgrade and at this point we were not aware that Veeam would be offering a solution to this issue.

We then decided to backup the V8 RTM configuration and then uninstall the RTM release and then install the V8 GA release.

The installation went without a hitch but when we tried to restore the Configuration we had the same issue. We eventually managed to restore the Configuration by un ticking the option to restore the session data but we now have no old session information.

Have FUN!
Michael Pozar
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Michael, if you still have logs regarding that issue, I'd recommend opening a ticket with the support team, since the more information they have about the problem, the better. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Update: while opening a case with our support team, kindly, provide not only logs, but also a configuration backup. Having the latter at hand will allow us to find the root cause more quickly. Thanks.
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser » 1 person likes this post

Hi.

Had a session with support today, and we found a workaround (we simply moved a copy of the SQL database from the old server - no issues).

So technically there's still an issue with the configuratin backup/restore proces, but I assume Veeam will investigate further so the problem can be ironed out in a future patch.

I will however make sure to have a copy of the SQL database until i'm fairly certain the issue has been resolved. As it is now I can't quite be sure I can restore a configuration backup from my Veeam Server.

Once we got going support was very professional a knew perfectly well what they were doing. Kudo's for delivering a great experience.

-Keyser
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

I have the same issue - case 00701407 is opened. Both configuration backup and logs have been uploaded.
Support is working on the issue as we speak.

This however was a clean v8 install - not upgrade from v7.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

Seems my case 00701407 has now been escalated.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com