Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hooah212002
Novice
Liked: never

[RESOLVED] /var/tmp on Freenas CIFS share getting filled up by VeeamAgent?

Post by hooah212002 »

I use a Freenas server as the target of a single physical machine using the VeeamAgent. However, yesterday I noticed that the /var/tmp directory was full (5gb) of files named "VeeamAgent2a24e31a-01d2-4842-9793-7b518821bfcf" where everything after "VeeamAgent" was different and each file was exactly 21281560 bytes (~21 MB). I tried to view it with cat but it looks to be encrypted. Plus, the timestamps are at precisely every 4 hours but none line up with the times my backups run. I am thus far unable to capture a process that is creating these files.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: /var/tmp on Freenas CIFS share getting filled up by VeeamAgent?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Are you 100% it's freeNAS? If so, then have you ever attempted to add the server as a repository to VBR? The questions might be strange, but you never know...

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

hooah212002,

Can you please clarify the extension for the mentioned agent files? Thank you!
hooah212002
Novice

Post by hooah212002 »

P.Tide wrote: Apr 03, 2019 4:21 pm Are you 100% it's freeNAS? If so, then have you ever attempted to add the server as a repository to VBR? The questions might be strange, but you never know...
Yes, i am 100% sure it is freenas (I built it) and yes, it was previously added as a repository but is no longer used by VBR, only the agent. I removed the entry today but the files are still being produced.
hooah212002
Novice

Post by hooah212002 »

Dima P. wrote: Apr 03, 2019 4:47 pm Can you please clarify the extension for the mentioned agent files? Thank you!
There is no file extension
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Ok, just wanted to double-check, because I remember dealing with situations when people with inherited infrastructures would be wrong about what they actually had at their disposal :)

Such files can be seen on linux-based repositories where Veeam service is deployed. I am not sure how that could happen to your NAS, but it looks like someone have managed to add it not as a CIFS share repo, but as a linux repo. If that's the case, then I'd love to know the story how it was done with freeNAS. Regarding the actual problem - as you understand, since VAW accesses your freeNAS via CIFS it cannot really put anything into /var/tmp/. Also this part
he timestamps are at precisely every 4 hours but none line up with the times my backups run
makes me think that it is really something else what accesses the host. You should double-check if the server is still defined anywhere in VBR (as a repository, or under "managed servers").

Thanks!
hooah212002
Novice

Post by hooah212002 »

That did it. I removed it as a backup repository but forgot to also remove it as a "managed server". I've rebooted the windows server (it's actually my VBR server) a couple times and those files are no longer appearing. Cheers!
mlovelace
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Lovelace

Post by mlovelace » 1 person likes this post

I'm glad to see you got this sorted out. If you wouldn't mind updating the freeNAS post with the fix, in the off chance someone else has a similar problem and stumbles across it, it would be appreciated. :)