I have the following scenario at a customer:
- VBR 184.108.40.2065 on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- VMWare vSphere 6.0 Update 2 (one vCenter Server, one ESXi host)
- One backup job which backs up all VMs to a QNAP NAS (full backups are around 310 GB)
- The backup repository which points to the QNAP NAS is set to "Use per-VM backup files"
- One backup copy job which copies those backups to external 3TB HDDs which are connected to the QNAP NAS and get rotated daily
- The backup repository which points to the external HDDs is set to "This repository is backed by rotated hard drives"
Now we get to the issue I have: the backup copy job doesn't delete old backup copies, the external HDDs just fill up with full backup files and inevitably run out of space, even though the backup copy job is set to retain just two restore points. At the currently connected HDD there are 9 full backups and two incremental backups. At other customers which have exactly the same setup we don't have that issue.
Does anyone have a clue why deleting old restore points doesn't work in this case?