Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

VBR - backup job, single exchange server

Post by Hariseldon1 »

I am creating a backup job in Veeam Backup Replication (community edition) to backup two VMs:
VM #1 of 2 = The Windows Domain Controller (the only domain controller)
VM #2 of 2 = The Exchange 2010 Server (the only exchange server... with all exchange roles)

Question #1 = What is the basic best practices to configure backup jobs for these kinds of single server roles?
Question #2a = Will a "default" VBR backup job truncate logs on the VMs?
Question #2b = In my VBR backup job (for these two VMs -- given their above stated roles within the Windows Domain) Do I need to "enable application-aware processing" on the backup job?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR - backup job, single exchange server

Post by Mildur »

Question 1a/2a/2b
enable application-aware processing

Best practice is always to use application Aware.
You have vms with DC-Role and an Exchange Server.
Veeam will truncate the logs of the exchange server with this option on.
Plus, with this option, you are making sure, that the databases of exchange and the dc are consistent.
A default Job will only truncate the logs if the option is enabled.

Create 1 Job, add both server, enable Application Ware Processing.
You will have to provide credentials on the Application Aware Processing Page with Domain Admin Rights.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... =110#rptcb
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

Re: VBR - backup job, single exchange server

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Thank you!

Follow up question... If I want take a "state-of-the-VMs-as-they-are-today" full backup, would it be best to backup the VMs with all VMs powered off?

Yes: I am aware that VBR+snapshots(VMware) and VEB+snapshots(VSS) are capable of taking a live-powered-up-while-running-state backup.

My safest-path-forward mindest was: 1) get a best possible baseline backup --> 2) proceed with traditional Nightly backups

With both VMs powered off (DomainController + Exchange2010 standalone server)....
-- From a purist standpoint, I want my FIRST (one) backup to be the most safest prestine status of the VMs.
<<I have even contemplated WinSCP copying the VM files off the esxi server>>

-- Would VBR "VeeamZIP" provide that lowest-common-denominator-most-safest-prestine backup status to begin with?
(I imagine "VeeamZIP" does nothing to the logs of either the DomainController nor the ExchangeServer)