Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

VBR12 Upgrade Backup Copy Job with SOBR target

Post by billcouper »

I have many Legacy BCJ's in my environment. I have some that go to standalone repository (Cloud Connect provider repo), and some that target SOBR's. All repos and extents are ReFS with block clone capability.

When I upgrade Legacy BCJ to standalone repository (Cloud Connect provider repo), it specifically says that it is using block cloning during the Upgrade procedure.

When I upgrade Legacy BCJ to an SOBR, it didn't mention block cloning. And in fact, it ignored the 'data locality' SOBR rule and picked the extent with the most free space for every single VM in the BCJ. This means I didn't get block cloning for the Upgrade procedure, causing it to take a loooong time. Additionally, and even more painfully, it consumed the space than an active full backup would require.

I would like to upgrade all of our Legacy BCJ so that new features we may require in the future are available and ready when the time comes (eg copying backups to new storage is just one example). However, we don't have enough capacity to create new full backups of everything. This is a very big deal for us. Please let me know if there is a way to enforce the 'data locality' rule when processing Legacy BCJ upgrades?
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Re: VBR12 Upgrade Backup Copy Job with SOBR target

Post by billcouper »

Bump. Is there no way to enforce the 'data locality' rule when processing Legacy BCJ chain upgrades?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VBR12 Upgrade Backup Copy Job with SOBR target

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to be sure: did you set the "strict placement policy enforcement"?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best regards,
Hannes