Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ckx2
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Knaab

Veeam 6.0 - Restore from another backup server

Post by ckx2 »

Hi,

since we fixed the issue with the management server, working with Veeam is a blast. Everything works like a charm and backup / restore speed is incredible fast.

We have just one thing left on our paper which I can't find out how to work with.

Assuming we have a Backup Server running at our Office A with internal IP adress 192.168.60.5. That server has a jub running daily 22.00 CET backing up our ESX Host 192.168.60.51 with all machines including onto a NAS device 192.168.60.69.

Since we have three offices and I'm currently sitting in Office B (192.168.70.0 range) with static VPN connections.

Now lets say that ESX crashes and somehow I can't get someone at the backup server locally there, how am I able to perform a restore of all my machines when I got Veeam Backup & Replication installed on my laptop? I have added our ESX server aswell as the same backup repository on my installation but somehow I'm unable to restore a VM which has been backuped by a different backup server.

Any ideas?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 6.0 - Restore from another backup server

Post by foggy »

Christian, you should be able to import backups into another instance of Veeam B&R and successfully restore the VMs. Moreover, we have a standalone utility (extract.exe) coming with every Veeam B&R installation that allows to restore VMs from any VBK file created by Veeam B&R, in case you do not have the product installed.