Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Chrisstone99
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Steiner

Veeam 7 - Backup to Empty SATA-Cart - Failed to find last po

Post by Chrisstone99 »

After upgrading to Veeam 7 (from 6) i have a nasty problem.

I work with Veeam (and love it) since Version 5. It worked as we wished all the time with our constelation.
Which is:
I rotate the backupdrive every day (Dell RD1000 drive, SATA HD in Cartridge) and backup to 10 dif. cartridges
(so 2 weeks restore possible from these daily cartridges, they are stored in another building as part of fire security every morning and switched)

The new cartridge is deleted by a job at 18:00 and from 23:00 the jobs start to backup all server one by one to the empty drive.
Every Day.

With Veeam 7 (updated yesterday) i always get:
22.11.2013 10:48:09 :: Error: Failed to find last point in backup a7114bb8-4c93-47e5-8cee-1ab2c60a2d80

After that error, the Number of Backups in the Job (Disk Section) is empty (instead of 1) and then it works.
So currently i start all jobs during the day to force the error manually, then it works in the night :).

For that case in Veeam 4 to 6 there was the
ForceCreateMissingVBK Option in the Registry.

If HAVE this option
"ForceCreateMissingVBK"=dword:00000001

in 2 branches:
Here: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication]
and here: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication]

Which worked in Veeam 4-6 as i already mentioned. But it fails in Veeam 7......

I opened a ticket (Veeam Support - Case # 00480721), but i cant imagine that I am the only one with that error in version 7.
Has anyone a workaround? Is this a bug? Did i something wrong?

Any help would be appr. Thanks in advance for your help.

Christian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 7 - Backup to Empty SATA-Cart - Failed to find las

Post by foggy »

Christian, there's currently a known issue with that key not working properly in v7 in some cases. We are working on the fix and you will be able to get it from support within your case, once it is available. The fix also will be included in the next product update.
Chrisstone99
Novice

Post by Chrisstone99 »

foggy wrote:Christian, there's currently a known issue with that key not working properly in v7 in some cases. We are working on the fix and you will be able to get it from support within your case, once it is available. The fix also will be included in the next product update.
Thank u very much for your feedback Foggy.

I have a manual workaround to start every job in the morning, runs into error, then it works in the night because the restore points in DISKS in these Jobs went to zero :).

We mail a lot of Screens and info to the support with our ticket, hoping to help u solve it.
e.g. the is folder is created, but the only file in it is the vbm, with that data in it

<BackupMeta Id="8afdb119-019b-44a6-8c1f-233391691280" JobId="baedaf0b-b450-4de8-8cb8-1c73b0445f68" JobName="SRV01" JobType="Backup" JobSourceType="VDDK" Platform="EVmware" CreationTimeUtc="11/25/2013 09:01:50"><Hosts /><Storages /><Vms /><VmPoints /></BackupMeta>

Wish you and me that u solve it quick :), so i can quit the manual job every day and you get rid of a big problem soon :).

Regards,

Christian
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for working with support on this. For now you could probably trigger jobs in the morning via Task Scheduler to avoid manual intervention.
Chrisstone99
Novice

Post by Chrisstone99 »

foggy wrote:Thanks for working with support on this. For now you could probably trigger jobs in the morning via Task Scheduler to avoid manual intervention.
well to be honest, i was not smart enough to doubletrigger a job :)
because the jobs run like this

job 1 - 11 pm
job 2 - 11:40 pm
job 3 - 0:30 am
and so on

I can only give them them "daily at this time" ONCE
or periodicaly where i also dont have a clue how i should configure that it would work like we wish

so its okay, worst case i have a backup every 2nd day hehe, before vmware and veeam we had only databackup daily, serverbackup every 3 month :) :)

Christian
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I meant using Powershell script to trigger required jobs and scheduling it via Task Manager.
Chrisstone99
Novice

Post by Chrisstone99 »

foggy wrote:I meant using Powershell script to trigger required jobs and scheduling it via Task Manager.
ah ok, that should be possible, i will do that until the patch is out :)

thx again
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

In order to start the job via Windows Scheduler you can either use the command shown in the job summary ("Command Line") or write a small PS script:

Code: Select all

Get-VBRJob -name "Name of backup Job" | Start-VBRJob
Thanks.
Chrisstone99
Novice

Post by Chrisstone99 »

great, final noob question :),

how do i call the powershell via dos .bat (windwos command, but lets be honest, ist a ms-dos 6.1 bat-file, if not a ms-dos 3.3 :) :))

On the VMware i call it like that

powershell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\vim.psc1" -command "c:\scripts\powercli_checksnapshots.ps1"

where the -command is the script with all the get-vbrjob calls in it, but do i need to configure a consolefile too so that powershell knows who i am adressing?
because with only

powershell.exe -command "c:\scripts\prepare.ps1"

it runs into an error
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I've previously described the way PS scripts can be scheduled via Windows Scheduler; so, please, take a look. Also, you don't need to add the Veeam PowerShell snap-in within the script (ansp VeeamPSSnapin) in order to use special Veeam commands.

Thanks.
Chrisstone99
Novice

Post by Chrisstone99 »

well then, problem solved.

hope it helps others too :)

thanks again to eremin and foggy
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask, if any additional clarification is needed. Thanks.
Tommeke
Novice

[MERGED] USB Swapping

Post by Tommeke »

Hey there

For our backup plan, we need to be able to backup to an USB device and take it offsite each day, and replace it with another. Our setup is as follow: Veeam Backup and Replication V7.0.0.764 is turning on a virtual machine on an Hyper V Windows Server 2012. The USB devices are connected to the host, and are accessed this way.

I try now to make a backup job to one USB device path (D: for example). When we exchange the devices, the path stays the same. I read a bit on this forum, and I already put the following keys:
Name: ForceCreateMissingVBK
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x00000001(1)
In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam B&R and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam B&R
After that I restarted the server and remade the jobs.
Even after this, when I put the other (empty) device, I get following error: "Failed to ind last point in backup".
Am I forgetting something here?

Also, an other solution would be to do each day a full backup. I tried to do this by using Reversed Incremental and to check Active full backup on the day of today. This also gives me the error mentioned before. Probably doing something wrong here too.

Well, that's it. I hope you guys can help me out. We need to implement this by a client.
Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thomas, currently there are some issues with this key operation, I recommend contacting support to verify whether this is the case with your setup. Thanks.