Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

VEEAM B&R and netapp snapshots

Post by tekno »

Hello
i got an addhoc request from one of our customers, if i could copy out snapshots from an netapp snapshots. His secondary storage hosting just snapshots is runnig full.
I would like to copy out the snapshots to backup repository (as i can do schedule and fire / forget and avoid scripts etc..), however, i dont know, what is included in that snapshots (if its vm files, or actual user data or some lun/vfiler data) and eventually delete the source after successfull backup.

according https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-to-off ... etapp.html it should be possible, however, some hidden prereqs im maybe missing.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VEEAM B&R and netapp snapshots

Post by foggy »

Peter, could you please clarify what are you trying to achieve? Move LUN snapshots from secondary storage (SnapMirror/SnapVault?) to Veeam B&R backup repository?
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

Post by tekno »

basically yes, i have not much data , basically most of the info i got is already written above.. i assume they have regular snapshots on daily basic, which are filling out the netapp (and netapp likes to crash if its total full). So they want to move some of the snapshots somewhere else and i would like to use veeam to move the actual snapshots (snapvault probably, haven't seen it yet) to repository
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R doesn't copy snapshots, it can backup and restore VMs from them.