Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mc1903
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: mc1903

Veeam B&R using AWS VTL Gateway

Post by mc1903 »

Hi,

I trying to get my head around the complete architecture for Veeam B&R with the AWS VTL Gateway.

I have read the Deployment Guide written by Dustin Albertson back in 2019 (https://www.veeam.com/wp-using-aws-vtl- ... .html?wpty) but I still have questions.

Dustin's deployment overview diagram does not show any Veeam components (proxy/repo/etc.):

So I would like to know if there is other updated deployment document/diagram that DOES show all of the required Veeam components? If NOT, I assume I need (as a minimum) the following?
  • Backup Server
  • Backup Repository
  • Backup Proxy
  • Tape Server
As for jobs, again I assume VM backups as normal must first sent to a Veeam Backup Repository and then a Tape Job can created to 'copy' them into the AWS VTL? Is this correct?

Just for completeness: Is there any Veeam support for backing up a VM directly into a AWS VTL?

Finally what are the CPU and Memory sizing requirements/rules for a Tape Server that will run multiple VTL drives (4+) in parallel?

Thanks,
M
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam B&R using AWS VTL Gateway

Post by Gostev »

Why do you want to use AWS VTL vs. our native S3 integration?

Even if we put all the tape complexity and performance issues aside (although this is particularly important at the DR restore time), it will be quite costly from the S3 storage perspective due to having to store those periodic full backups, which are essential when using tape... not to mention the actual AWS VTL device monthly costs on top of that.

I will admit back in 2019, it was the only way to meet some requirements... but we're in 2021 now, and a lot of things have changed from our functionality perspective ;)
mc1903
Enthusiast

Post by mc1903 »

Thanks @Gostev.

If the native S3 integration is now the better way to go, I will look into it. Is this the Amazon S3 Object Storage Repository? (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100)

Also, please can you confirm the requirement to have (or not) an on-prem disk based Veeam Repository with the AWS VTL or Native S3 integration?

Thanks,
M
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Correct, this one.

Yes, on-prem storage (landing zone) is required with either approach.
mc1903
Enthusiast

Post by mc1903 »

Thanks again @Gostev. Much appreciated. M