Veeam B&R recovery of a domain controller

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Veeam B&R v5 recovery of a domain controller

Veeam Logoby Unison » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi James,
So painful! Hopeful you will be able to avoid all of that in future.
can i ask - why dont you enable application aware processing on the DC backup jobs?

It wouldn't take much time for you to create a new veeam job for your DCs only - turn on application aware processing for them - capture the backup......then test your restore process again on your isolated/island hosts.

My DC jobs have application aware processing on them - to ensure crash consistent backups particularly for the AD databases. I quite regularly do a DR test similar to what you are doing......simulate a total loss of the physical environment and restoring everything using just the backups (and our physical veeam server - everything else runs on vmware and Dell R710 hosts).

Be interested to see if you do a quick test with your DCs with the app aware processing - if your DR tests like this become MUCH easier.
Unison
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Gav

Veeam Logoby JamesNT » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:54 am

Hello Unison,

Thank you for replying. We will be trying that type of backup next. However, my question does remain: Does our having to restore the VM's by restoring just their files and importing them make a difference? Your response implies no, but I thought I would seek clarification.

JamesNT
JamesNT
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Summerlin

Veeam Logoby Unison » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:55 am

no worries :)
my answer would be 'no' - wouldn't make a difference or be the cause of what you have seen here - but hopefully a Veeam 'Green Guy' can chip in here to confirm.

VMs are really just a collection of files (as i am certain you know) - which is what makes them so flexible/agile......you should be able to take the files (which make up the VM) and take them to ANY hardware/hyper-visor and run that/those VMs there.....with the same config/resources, those VMs should be none the wiser that they are actually 'somewhere else' and it should not impact recovery at all.

keen to know if your new backups with App Aware improves your recovery/DR tests greatly :)
Unison
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Gav

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:50 pm

JamesNT wrote:Upon restore, it is important to note that the cluster the domain controllers were running on no longer exists. VEEAM wants to, upon choosing to do a full VM restore, look for that cluster and restore to that. Not an option.

James, were you trying to perform restore to original location without actual access to it?

JamesNT wrote:After reading this thread, we noted that we did NOT have Application Aware Processing turned on for the domain controllers. However, given the approach we have to take to restore the DC's, with having to do individual files and then import them using Hyper-V manager, would that make a difference for us? Or are we destined to have to always bring in one DC and remove the other every time we do a restore?

Provided you have AAIP enabled in the backup job, the recovery process in the "all DC's are lost" scenario would be as described in this KB article, regardless the type of restore you perform (full VM restore, VM files restore, Instant Recovery).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1302 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby ksauer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Upon restore, it is important to note that the cluster the domain controllers were running on no longer exists. VEEAM wants to, upon choosing to do a full VM restore, look for that cluster and restore to that. Not an option. So in order to restore the backup, we have to choose to restore the individual VHDX files and config files to a folder on one of the hosts, use Hyper-V Manager to import the DC's, setup a new cluster, then move the domain controllers into the new cluster.

I'm 99% sure this is a known issue and is slated to be fixed in V9U2. The work around for this issue is to simply perform a VM Files restore to manually restore the files rather than leveraging the Entire VM restore option
ksauer
Veeam Software

Full Name: Ken Sauer

Veeam Logoby JamesNT » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Gentlemen,

I cannot begin to thank you all enough for this valuable information. It appears we will be re-writing a good portion of our disaster recovery procedures and life is going to become a bit easier.

One other question, if I may: In the event of a the scenario where all DC's are lost (and we have only two) or if we just want to set up a new test environment using backups from long ago, how far back can we go with our backups to restore both DC's? Since we are restoring both, can we go back to 365 days ago? Yes, we are keeping backups that long.

JamesNT
JamesNT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:11 pm

You can select any of the restore points and restore to the required date.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JamesNT » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm 99% sure this is a known issue and is slated to be fixed in V9U2. The work around for this issue is to simply perform a VM Files restore to manually restore the files rather than leveraging the Entire VM restore option

Can we confirm this? I can't seem to find the feature that a Hyper-V guest can be restored by choosing Full VM Restore to a different host or cluster anywhere for version 9.

JamesNT
JamesNT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:45 am

Gostev wrote:Team, let's create a support KB on authoritative AD restores with Veeam (step by step). Please coordinate with QC and Support. Thanks!

+1

A colleague worked on a case where a customer had problems with a recovered DC. I didn't find any information on how the restore is done by Veeam and now months later I've found this thread ;)
Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 35 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:28 pm 2 people like this post

Support KB article is already available > KB2119
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2670 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:55 pm

JamesNT wrote:Can we confirm this? I can't seem to find the feature that a Hyper-V guest can be restored by choosing Full VM Restore to a different host or cluster anywhere for version 9.

Currently the issue is confirmed on vSphere only. Are you selecting restore to an alternate location? Do you have a case open for this?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Regnor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 pm 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:Support KB article is already available > KB2119

Regnor
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 35 times

Veeam Logoby JamesNT » Wed May 04, 2016 7:00 pm

foggy,

We choose the option in Veeam to restore only files then use Hyper-V Manager to import the VM.

JamesNT
JamesNT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby JamesNT » Wed May 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Gostev wrote:Support KB article is already available > KB2119

The article does not mention when the registry entries may be deleted. Can anyone elaborate?

JamesNT
JamesNT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 05, 2016 11:23 am

JamesNT wrote:We choose the option in Veeam to restore only files then use Hyper-V Manager to import the VM.

Have you tried to select restore to an alternate location on the corresponding step of the wizard?

JamesNT wrote:The article does not mention when the registry entries may be deleted. Can anyone elaborate?

You can remove the keys after domain recovery is completed.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication