Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
applefanboy
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition

Post by applefanboy »

I am currently using the free community edition of Veeam BR on 9.5U4. Can someone explian how the licensing structure worked? I read its unlimited VMs (or is that for veeamZip only?), but when i tried backing up a 2nd vm, it errors out with Unable to process workload: license has been exceeded. When i go to file/licenses, it shows 10/10 instances used. What is classified as an instance?

Also, is there any way to schedule a physical server backup to every hour instead of daily? Do i have to use task scheduler/scripts? Can you provide sample scripts/links?

On a vm, I have the ability to schedule it every hour.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Veeam Backup Free Edition

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You should be able to process up to 10 VMs, unless you're processing some other workloads too. Try revoking the licenses in that dialog?

Yes, you can schedule Server agent-based jobs to run every hour. With Community Edition (as well as Standard Edition), VMs consume 1 instance per VM, Server agents consume 3 instances per server, and Workstation agents consume 1 instance per workstation.
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

How do i get unlimited vms per this page? https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-b ... -free.html
"FREE: Unlimited number of ESXi and Hyper-V hosts or VMs, with no expiration date and zero investment required!"

Can you explain how to schedule server agent based jobs? Is this on the local physical server or do you mean via Veeam BR console? On the free version, I don't have the ability to add a physical server.

thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The referenced page is out-dated and will be replaced soon, as it talks about Veeam Backup Free Edition which no longer exists as of Update 4.

Now you have Community Edition (provided on free basis) with 10 Standard instances included. Using these 10 instances, you can protect both virtual and physical workloads. To protect the later you need to follow these recommendations.

Thanks!
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

So if i install 9.5 update 3a, i will have unlimited licenses for VM?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you install Update 3a and use it in free edition, you can protect unlimited number of VMs only with VeeamZIP functionality (manual ad-hoc full backups).

Also, you will be unable to leverage backup repository, backup proxy, backup copy jobs, replication jobs, physical machine backup and so on. This requires Update 4 and the Community Edition.

Thanks!
Neilo
Novice

Post by Neilo »

Just so i'm getting this right? The Old Veeam previous to Update 4 was unlimited ad-hoc backup via Zip only. The New Update 4 is completely unrestricted with a limit of 10 instances or (3 instances per agent). Basically 10 VM? or 3 win/linux os and 1vm with Scheduling and duplication works? T here is no Limits other than the 10 Instances? if this is true, this is fantastic for the home Lab user. WOW!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

That is correct.

Just like the What's New document explains, with the Community Edition you basically get Veeam Backup & Replication Standard Edition for 10 instances, which can be any of the below combinations (these are just some random examples, obviously there are hundreds of supported combinations as long as weights add up to 10 instances):
  • 10 VMs
  • 10 Workstations
  • 5 VMs + 5 Workstations
  • 5 VMs + 1 Server + 2 Workstations
  • 1 VM + 3 Servers
  • 3 Servers + 1 Workstation
and so on... with Standard Edition instances, VMs consume 1 instance per VM, Server agents consume 3 instances per server, and Workstation agents consume 1 instance per workstation.

Importantly, with the Community Edition you still keep all functionality of the former Free Edition, such as VeeamZIP for unlimited VMs, Quick Migration for unlimited VMs, unlimited File to Tape and File Copy, etc. In other words, there's no feature loss or drawbacks of moving from the Free Edition.
Neilo
Novice

Post by Neilo »

yes i see it now.

• Veeam Backup Free Edition has been discontinued and replaced by Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition.

• Added Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition, which is effectively fully functional Veeam Backup & Replication Standard
Edition limited to 10 Instances. For the former Free Edition functionality, Community Edition inherits the same licensing behavior, for
example VeeamZIP backups or Quick Migration jobs will not be counted against the 10 Instances limit.

Will the pop up mentioning the grace period of 90 days go away after 90 day? a bit annoying. i also notice it takes 4 times as long to connect after initial opening of the program?

Anyhow, i'm happy with the new licensing scheme.
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

Are you saying i reverted back to 9.5U3 for no reason!? lol
Neilo
Novice

Post by Neilo »

You sure did! :(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Neilo wrote: Jan 23, 2019 10:02 pmWill the pop up mentioning the grace period of 90 days go away after 90 day? a bit annoying.
It sounds like you have a valid legacy license installed. You should download and install a replacement one from the Customer Portal.
Neilo
Novice

Post by Neilo »

interesting, i don't recall ever installing a license for the previous free edition? But again its been some time since i installed it. I'll check it out.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Free edition does not require a license, however there was an agent promo at some point that you may have used? This message box should not show UNLESS you have a legacy license installed. Othewise, could be some bug with the Free edition upgrade to the Community edition. But yes, it will go away in any case.
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

Post by rasmusan »

Are you allowed to use the product for “production” as an end Customer? Or is it only for POC/testing purposes?

/Rasmus
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Rasmus,

You can use it as you wish, the only limitation is the amount of instances you get. Thanks!
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

Post by rasmusan »

Thanks... are you able to use it in conjunction with VAC, as as service provider?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

No, with VAC you are only allowed to manage backup servers licensed with a paid license.

Please review detailed information about Licensing for Service Providers in the User Guide. Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 62 times

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

I have two other questions to make it clear to me as well ...

1) We have several commercial licenses in use. Are we nevertheless allowed to use Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 U4 Community Edition in as many other environments, as we like, if it fits for us and no more than 10 instances are protected with it, even if some VMs may have TBs of data in it?

2) Furthermore, I would like to know, if virtual VMware Backup Proxies or virtual Hyper-V Off-Host Backup Proxies, that are not protected with Community Edition and only serve as proxies, do count as instances as well?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

1) Yes, you can do that. Community edition has no limitations on the amount of protected data.

2) Veeam licenses protected workloads only. Backup servers or their components do not consume the license.

Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Thanks as well, that makes it clear!
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

I just want to confirm before I upgrade back to U4. I still have the ability to use VeeamZIP for unlimited VMs on U4?
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Yes!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Guys, please do read the What's New document - someone has even quoted the relevant part on the last page of this topic for everyone's convenience ;)
zyrex
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by zyrex »

Still a little uncertain about the "instance" wording - what about Backup Copy jobs? Are they a part of the 10 instances?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Backup Copy jobs do not consume licenses with Veeam.

Overall, subscription license consumption rules (and MSRP per workload) remain the same with the introduction of Instances. Just as before, we're still licensing per protected workload, where a workload is considered protected if it had at least one restore point created in the past 31 days.

With Instances, we're merely reducing "license sprawl" where every Veeam product had it's own license file (for example, separate license files for Windows and Linux agents), often with multiple workload-specific counters inside (for example, separate servers and workstation counters for agents). Whereas now, it's a single license file with a single counter, which is portable across all Veeam products managed by Veeam Backup & Replication - so all that license management complexity is removed.

For instance wording see:
https://www.veeam.com/eula-licensing-policy.html
https://www.veeam.com/faq.html
zyrex
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by zyrex »

Thanks, very helpful!
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

[MERGED] Veeam Community Edition

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, some info about the new "Community Edition"

From Update 4 release notes

"Added Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition, which is effectively fully functional Veeam Backup & Replication Standard
Edition limited to 10 Instances. For the former Free Edition functionality, Community Edition inherits the same licensing behavior, for
example VeeamZIP backups or Quick Migration jobs will not be counted against the 10 Instances limit"

10 Instances means, for example, 10 VM on ESXi?

Seems too much good :D

Ciao, Marco
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

10 VMs/10 Workstations/3 Servers/etc. Check this answer on the previous page for more information regarding possible combinations. Thanks!
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Very nice upgrade!

One info: the Backup Jobs can be easily scheduled on Community Edition as in Standard Edition or they need some Powershell / Scripting ?