demo
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lokesh S

Veeam backup license

Post by demo »

Hi Experts,

We have the following license.
Veeam Backup Essentials Universal /Subscription License Includes Enterprise Plus /Edition features. 3 Years Subscription License/Billing & Production (24/7) Support Licensed Unit – 20 Instances

As mentioned in veeam
1 license is consumed for each of the following protected workloads: 1 virtual machine (VM), 1 cloud Instance/VM, 1 physical server, a 3-pack of workstations, or 500 GB of NAS data.
I need to protect 60 workstations. And I currently added a windows server machine in veeam and configured a backup, will it take 1 license?

And also I want to know is it possible to remove an already added machine and make the license allocated to another machine?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam backup license

Post by Mildur »

Hi Lokesh
I need to protect 60 workstations. And I currently added a windows server machine in veeam and configured a backup, will it take 1 license?
If you configure a windows server Agent Job, then it will take one license for this windows server.
If you have configured a windows workstation backup policy, then 1 license will be used for each 3 workstations. The first workstation will use the license. You can backup two other workstations with the same license. As soon you backup the forth workstation, another 1 license will be used for the workstation.

And also I want to know is it possible to remove an already added machine and make the license allocated to another machine?
Yes, you can revoke a license if you don‘t want to backup a workstation or server anymore.
Revoke a license
We have the following license.
Veeam Backup Essentials Universal /Subscription License Includes Enterprise Plus /Edition features. 3 Years Subscription License/Billing & Production (24/7) Support Licensed Unit – 20 Instances
With 20 license bought, you can officially exceed the license count by 5 licenses. You don‘t need to revoke the server you have already backed up.

You can always exceed a VUL license by 5 licenses, or 5% of the total license count, what ever the higher value is. With 20er VUL, it‘s 5 licenses. If you exceed by 6, you get a weekly warning that you are out of compliance.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software