Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DavorS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Davor Stanec

BackupCopy job with disk rotation

Post by DavorS »

Hi,

I have a rather simple situation that i can't get my head around.

I have a client that uses Veeam B&R v7 patch 4 - we use reverse incremental as a backup method to back up virtual machines to disk shelf attached to a physical B&R server. It works like a charm, but since autoloader died on us recently (it's too expensive to get a new one), and we're waiting for next years budgeting where we included a disaster recovery site - so we decided to use backups to external disks instead. We have 3x 4 TB external disks that we want to use in rotation, and we want to backup to them once a week (weekend) so we have a 3 week rotation schedule.

Now, i've created three backup repositories, and three coresponding BackupCopy jobs. I've added the required registry keys to make it work properly, but the problem i have is with logging. I've set the jobs to do BackupCopy in 21 day intervals, and scheduled it so there is a 24h window from saturday to sunday.

It works great, but it triggers the job every few minutes - the job fails (either it can't locate backup repository for the two jobs which disks are offsite, or it can't start because of the schedule i've set up). I don't mind the excessive logging as i personaly check the content of each disk before i do the switch, but it seems to me like every failed job ends up in B&R SQL database and B&R console is almost unsuable - response time when i click on anything is between 5-10 minutes or i get a message that the SQL server is under heavy load.
The server running Veeam B&R and the SQL database is a HP DL 380 with 2 6core Xeons and 32 GB RAM, and 15K disks.

Is there any way to turn of all that excessive logging for backup copy jobs? I know there have been some improvements in V8, but i'm unsure if upgrading will solve this problem.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: BackupCopy job with disk rotation

Post by foggy »

Davor, in order to get rotated drives scenario work, you actually do not need 3 jobs and 3 repos. It is sufficient to specify the corresponding registry key and schedule the job with a weekly interval. The problem in your case seems to be caused by improper job scheduling (remember that backup copy runs continuously). If you set the interval to start right at the moment when the job is allowed to transfer data (on Saturday), it will start to look up for and copy the available restore point right away and will not fail as it currently does.

Also note, that full backup will be created on a drive each time the job starts.
DavorS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Davor Stanec

Post by DavorS »

Ok, i will do that, but the slow performance of Veeam B&R console still remains an issue. Is there any way i can clear out logs for backup copy jobs? It's a small infrastructure, 2 hyper-v hosts with 10 VMs - it was running like a charm for months before we had to create backup copy jobs on external disks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can open a ticket with our support team and ask them for assistance with database cleaning. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Alternatively, you can temporarily decrease the session history retention value in Veeam B&R settings. Once excessive data is removed from the database, you can set it back to the current value. Please note though, that this will affect all the jobs, not only backup copy job. Thanks.