Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spinoza
Novice
Liked: 4 times

VEEAM Backup Strategy

Post by spinoza »

Hi all.

I'm very new to VEEAM and need some advice. Currently we use IBM's TSM for backups but they are replacing it for a product called Spectrum Storage. I'm looking at VEEAM as a replacement since our data center has pretty much completely migrated to VM's in the past 5 years.

We have about 10 VM's that need to be backed up for a total of about 3TB. Because of the nature of our business we need to have a retention period of about 7 years for financial and email data. Working with TSM I know about CDP and currently I have daily backups for 28 days at which point I run a separate monthly job. Those are retained for 12 months and then I run a yearly job which I keep for 7 years.

Given my current setup what would a VEEAM administrator do to mimic something similar. I guess what I'm asking is what would be the most efficient backup job schedule in terms of storage and how much storage would I need to cover these jobs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Martin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VEEAM Backup Strategy

Post by veremin »

A daily backup job with 28 retention, coupled with a backup copy job that has monthly, and yearly GFS restore points enabled, sounds like the best idea. Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I guess what I'm asking is what would be the most efficient backup job schedule in terms of storage and how much storage would I need to cover these jobs?
That depends on how much changes happen to your VMs daily. Given that your Full backup is around 3TB (assuming no compression) the total storage for 1 monthly full + 28 incrementals of, say, 100GB each, would cost you roughly 5,8TB. That's the number for 100% utilized VMs' disks + completely different data on those disks. I assume that your disks are not 100% full and your data is not chaotic (at least you have some similar OS files, databases etc.) so there will be some decrease in a backup chain size. Also there are various compression and deduplication levels available.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

PTide wrote:Given that your Full backup is around 3TB (assuming no compression) the total storage for 1 monthly full + 28 incrementals of, say, 100GB each, would cost you roughly 5,8TB.
Add to this the number of GFS restore points multiplied by the size of the full backup, since each of them is stored as a separate full. This thread can also help in estimating the space required.
spinoza
Novice
Liked: 4 times

Post by spinoza »

Thanks for the replies. Foggy, the link you provided to that thread has a handy calculator at the bottom. This was very useful.

Thanks again.