Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itsys
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nguyễn Minh Tâm

Veeam backup warning getting low space

Post by itsys »

Hi EveryOne,

My system is using Veeam to backup virtual machines to SAN. A few days, i got warning "Production datastore LUN_FS_01_PoolA is getting low on free space (40.8 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots". Capacity of LUN_FS_01_PoolA is 600 GB and is mapping to File server(virtual machine) with 450GB at volume D.

My question is :

1> How to resolve the warning of veeam? i aware of specify disk space threshold on veeam but i would like to know free disk space.

2> The capacity for LUN is 600 GB, and space for volume D just 450 GB. So, where is 150 GB ? it space for snapshot?

Any one help me with this?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam backup warning getting low space

Post by Mildur »

Hello Nguyễn

This warnings can be configured in the general options under notifications.
When we take a backup, we ask your vSphere hosts to create a VM snapshot. There must be space available on the production datastore where your VM is stored. If there is no space, vSphere cannot take a snapshot and veeam cannot create the backup.

This situation should be solved outside of Veeam Backup & Replication. You must free up storage on the datastore in your vSphere environment. If there is nothing to clean up, consider to add more storage to the datastore LUN_FS_01_PoolA.
Maybe there are orphaned snapshots on that datastore? Did you have checked the files on the datastore? Does the VM run on *****-00001.vmdk disk files instead of *****.vmdk disk files?

You can open a case with our customer support, so they can check if there are no orphaned snapshots left from a Veeam Backup Job. Or ask directly VmWare support what files do occupy the space on your datastore.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
itsys
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nguyễn Minh Tâm

Post by itsys »

Hello Mildur,
I checked file on datastore and i see as pic

. I have opened a case for support, and team support suggest delete snapshot to free space, but i'm not sure the file to do it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Nguyễn

Please check in vCenter if the path to the disk goes to those 00000* vmdk files. Also please check if vCenter shows open snapshot for that VM.

If there are no snapshots visible but the config of the VM shows the disk path to the 00000* vmdk files, then your VMs running on orphaned snapshots.

I would try to solve this by doing a Storage vMotion to another datastore.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software