Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
richardm
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backups to Consumer Backblaze (not B2)?

Post by richardm »

Wondering if anyone has been foolish enough to try using the regular consumer Backblaze to put their Veeam repos into the cloud. This is /r/homelab mad science, not production.

I'm trying to work out the optimal combination of backup/storage type/settings to minimize the local storage requirement and also minimize the amount of traffic going to the cloud. Backblaze performs its own block-level dedupe along with changed block tracking. It seems that any combination of Veeam settings which minimize the local storage requirement will also generate a lot of "delta" in the VBK/VBK/VRB files and thus more Backblaze traffic. On the other hand, I suspect that Veeam settings which are considered best practice for dedupe appliances would also be Backblaze friendly but now my backup repo would be chewing up a lot of local storage since I'm not actually deduping my repos.

I know what you're thinking: Just turn on NTFS dedupe. Well, I can't because the Backblaze client won't run on server OS. My repo has to sit as local-attach to a Windows 10 installation thanks to this. I don't feel like messing with the Windows 10 dedupe hack since each new build breaks it.

The best I've been able to come up with is spinning up a 2016 server as a storage target, deduping at this level, and presenting its storage to the Windows 10 system via iSCSI. Set Veeam up for dedupe repo best practices. I get my local dedupe yet Backblaze is happily running on Windows 10 and backing up "local" storage that it can dedupe and CBT to its heart's content. The only downside is the complication and potentially crapass performance.

I've also thought about Starwind VSAN (which has dedupe capability) and I think can run on Windows 10. I'd just make 127.0.0.1 my iSCSI target. I wish I could get over its hoary user interface.