Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rstone
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rob Stone

Veeam Copy

Post by rstone »

Have you come across this error before; it started happening on two of my four copy jobs? Errors below. I’m sure we have no network issue and the other 2 jobs seem fine. It stays at 1% or 2% for hours then fails. It has left a large temp file which I’m not sure if to delete or not?

Code: Select all

Failed to merge full backup file. Terminated at 10/01/2016 01:34:46
Failed to create synthetic full restore point 02/11/2015 03:00:00
Failed to generate points Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to read data from the file [\\backup\VEEAM\Off-Site C\Off-Site C2015-11-01T030000.vbk]. 
Failed to merge full backup file. Terminated at 10/01/2016 11:36:21
Failed to generate points Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to read data from the file [\\backup\VEEAM\Off-Site C\Off-Site C2015-11-01T030000.vbk].
I have over 50 restore points off site and the cycle finishes at 60; if you guys tell me to start again, me and Veeam may fall out for ever as I can't keep losing off-site backups. I was hoping it gets to 60 it will create me a nice vbk file I can then put on tape but I can't be certain as I have never got that far as I always get issues of some sort or another.

Thank you in advance.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam Copy

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Rob,
As error states, some network-related problems happened. The easiest way to find the issue is to contact Veeam support for the logs review.
rstone wrote:I have over 50 restore points off site and the cycle finishes at 60;
Could you elaborate on this? Do you have 60 restore points retention with a synthetic full backup option enabled?
In general it`s not the recommended approach to backup offsite with synthetic full. We recommend to use backup copy instead.
Thanks!
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

It is a backup copy, I do 30 local backups (all ok) and 60 off-site "backup copies" and two of these jobs have failed. I'm sure its not a network issue as the other 2 jobs are fine. The two bad ones are running as I type, one has got to 1% and has taken 7 hours so far and the other 2% and has taken 9 hours so far and they should both fail soon. Another good backup copy is also running and has done 85% in 2 hours 34 minutes.
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

Sorry the two that fail are creating GFS restore points, the one that is OK is Merging backup files.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the clarification, Rob.
As was said, to figure out the reason of the mistake, you need to contact the support team. Once you do, please post case number here.
Thanks!
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

My support case number is 01420050. The error has changed since I changed the NAS setting by turning off ‘Lock File (Oplocks)’ which may or may not have changed the error. This morning both failed and I get the error below.

Failed to merge full backup file. Terminated at 13/01/2016 08:13:39
Failed to generate points Error: Access is denied. Failed to read data from the file [\\backup\VEEAM\Off-Site C\Off-Site C2015-11-01T030000.vbk].

So instead of network error I have Access is denied. I didn’t mention before but the two that are failing are creating GFS restore files (not sure why as they have not got to 60 restore points yet) so perhaps these need special permissions or something. The confusing thing is one of the temp files got really big so I will a bit hopeful this morning, near a TB.

Thanks
Rob
Buh95
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: H.Schema.

Post by Buh95 »

We rencently had some stability issues with backup copy jobs that was due to the destination repository (in our case a Dxi Quantum) that was not able to support additionnal IO cost of merge operations (during GFS step). The result was some CIFS lost connection (the Quantum was stuck) and hard consequences for veeam jobs (vbk files not well renamed at the end of jobs, catalog consistency errors...).

In our case, Quantum confirms that GFS operations was not supported, because of the desgin of deduplication/rehydration logic of this VTL. But I guess Quantum is not the only one to suffer from that.
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

I use Qnap TS-EC1680U-RP, anyone else use this OK?
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

Morning

Good news; all seems successful this weekend. As well as changing the target server so it was fixed (Veeam's suggestion) I also change the credentials so that instead of using a domain admin account I used the NAS admin username (my guess) and think this may of sorted it but who knows.

Can I ask a question; I have never got to this stage before and its created a file <filename>_m.vbk, if I want to put this on tape do I just put this one file or do a need the current copy of the vbm file to go with it so if needed I can import it back in without issue?

Thank you........
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

if I want to put this on tape do I just put this one file or do a need the current copy of the vbm file to go with it so if needed I can import it back in without issue?
The import operation is possible even without .vbm. So, it's up to you to copy it or not. Thanks.