Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Veeam Explorer for Exchange, no databases mounted

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, We have an Exchange 2010 DAG cluster and I am currently testing our Veeam backups of Exchange. When I initiate an Application level recovery and launch Veeam explorer, if I have targeted the server which had the active databases at the time of backup, the explorer launches and mounts all databases. If I target the other exchange server which was not Active, then no Stores are mounted and i'm not sure how to proceed from there. Is this expected behavior? My issue here is that I don't intend to backup both nodes with the same schedule and need to ensure that if the passive node is backed up for Monthly retention, that is can be restored from in the same way as the Active would have been

Thanks in advance for any help
therealdj
Novice
Full Name: Dave Jerome

Re: Veeam Explorer for Exchange, no databases mounted

Post by therealdj »

Hi,
It should bring up the DB's if application aware processing is on for the backup job. If not you can just browse to the appropriate DB files and logs and the DB should mount.
To be safe though, id make sure the application aware processing is enabled as this "locks" the exchange DB as the VMware snapshot is created to make sure the DB is consistent.

Hope that is of some help :)

Dave J
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Full Name: J Cook

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, thanks for you reply. Application aware processing is turned on both jobs yet one has the databases mount when launching explorer, one doesn't. Within the FLR window I can browse to the database and add it, but I get a message stating "Online backup detected, log replay required" I was a bit worried about continuing past that point as i'm not sure what it will do?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The fact that you see this message tells that the application-aware backup was not completed successfully and the database was backed up in crash-consistent state. Could you please check the corresponding job session log for any warnings regarding that? What if you try some other restore point for the same server?

Do not be worried about trying to replay logs, this will not corrupt anything (the backup is read-only).