Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam File Copy vs. Storage vMotion

Post by ChuckS42 »

Picture, if you will, two VMware Clusters. One, known as "Old 'n Busted", is a series of blade servers connected to an iSCSI storage array. The other ("The New Hotness") is a new Hyper-Converged Cluster with its local storage. Both clusters are in the same datacenter, connected to the same vCenter instance.

"Old 'n Busted" has a File Server that has over a dozen 2TB virtual hard disks (around 20TB total). These disks contain static data - written a long time ago, filled, no longer being written to. Read Only.

My task is to migrate this data to "The New Hotness", without affecting the old file server. All I really need are the VMDKs to be moved; they'll be attached to a new file server on HCI cluster. I have two options: Veeam File Copy, or Storage vMotion (both would be from mounted array snapshots, not the actual files). The former requires no special configuration; the latter requires I connect "The New Hotness" to my old iSCSI network (something I'd rather avoid).

What I want to know is - which will be faster, Veeam File Copy or Storage vMotion?

(I know this scenario is not perfect, rough edges and all that. Still being worked out.)
Veeaming since 2013
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam File Copy vs. Storage vMotion

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
from a Veeam perspective I would go for Quick Migration or Replication over Veeam File Copy :-)

Storage vMotion is also possible without shared storage.

Best regards,
Hannes