Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Pierpa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Veeam "internal" database description

Post by Pierpa »

HI,
I've a problem like this.
ON a windows server, I've seen a SQL instance named VeeamBackup and another named VeeamBackupReporting ( Veeam Backup db and Veeam One db ??).
I don't know which are the veeam installation owner of the dbs, but I'm pretty sure that, making a query on both the instances, I can understand which is the Veeam Backup server and the Veeam one server.

Is someone able to tell me how to query the two dbs to understand the server names??

Best regards in advance
Pierpa
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam "internal" database description

Post by wishr »

Hi,

The VeeamBackup database contains Backup & Replication data and the VeeamBackupReporting database holds Enterprise Manager data.

Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

VeeamBackup = Veeam Backup and Replication DB
VeeamBackupReporting = Veeam Enterprise Manager DB
To find exact Veeam Backup and Replication SQL Server name, Instance name and Database name you can use [HKLM]\Software\Veeam\Backup and Replication\ keys [SQLServerName], [SQLInstanceName] and [SQLDatabaseName]; for Enterprise Manager, check same keys under [HKLM]\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup Reporting.
/Cheers!
Pierpa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Pierpa »

Hi,
ok, this is clear.
But I'm NOT on the Veeam server. I'm checking a system with an instance and a database named VeeamBackup and VeeamBackupReporting, with NO Veeam suite installed on it.
As far as I know Veeam can be installed on a server and the database can be located outside of it, and this should be the case.
May I run a query on the database to understand wich is the veeam server/enterprise manager server?

Thanks in advance
Pierpa
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Veeam Backup and Replication has way much more tables on it rather than Enterprise Manager database and you can just compare two and see for yourself. You can also query any table that exists in VBR DB and not in EM DB to find which one is which too, for example "use [VeeamBackup];SELECT * FROM dbo.[Audit.Records]" will fail on EM DB and will succeed on VBR DB one.
/Cheers!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You may take a look at the "sp_who" stored procedure, in the output you will see which hosts (hostname column) interact with both databases (database column).

Thanks!