Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoachimFrankaer
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joachim Frankær

log files on tape server growing out of control

Post by JoachimFrankaer »

Hi,

I have 5 backup to tape jobs running, and on the backup server the log files are rolling over automatically and getting cleaned up accordingly.

But on the tape server each of these jobs are just continuously piling on to the same logfile and now i have 5 log files in the 40-50 GB range
The files in question are "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\[job name]\Agent.[job name].TapeVmBackup.log"

Is there a way to force those log files to roll over do i need to manually clean them up when i start running out of disk space?
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Veeam log management

Post by neilmacneil »

Hi,

On our main VBR server %programdata%/veeam/backup is about 36 gigs. I'm just looking for some tips on log management. Is there anything in here unsafe to blow away? I'm thinking about shutting down veeam services and removing everything older than say maybe 2-3 months. Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Neil
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam log management

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Neil, Joacim

You can adjust retention for logs.
By the way, have you changed logginglevel? It usually happens when you work with the support team.

Thanks!
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Post by neilmacneil »

No I haven't touched the retention settings, but i'm more interested in knowing that I should be safe blowing away a lot of these old logs. Maybe a better question is, is it just logs that are created in this directory?
JoachimFrankaer
Novice

Post by JoachimFrankaer »

I haven't changed logginglevels either. Retention works fine on the backup server itself, the settings just don't seem to carry over to the tape server. I'll try configuring the retention settings on the tape server and see if that helps.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Logging level and log retention are different things. First indicates how much logs you need to collect, second tells for how long to keep them.
JoachimFrankaer
Novice

Post by JoachimFrankaer » 1 person likes this post

I think i just found the issue i was dealing with,

My job had international characters in the name and they get translated wrong somewhere in the log handling

If found these errors in the logs:

Code: Select all

[10.02.2016 04:47:59] <  1680>      ERR |The system cannot find the path specified.
[10.02.2016 04:47:59] <  1680>      >>  |--tr:Error code: 0x00000003
[10.02.2016 04:47:59] <  1680>      >>  |Failed to open GZ archive [C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\UV_MÃ¥nedlig_Gr1/Agent.UV_MÃ¥nedlig_Gr1.TapeVmBackup.log.gz].
[10.02.2016 04:47:59] <  1680>      >>  |--tr:Unable to validate log size limit. Log path: [C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\UV_MÃ¥nedlig_Gr1/Agent.UV_MÃ¥nedlig_Gr1.TapeVmBackup.log].
The filename should be UV_Månedlig_Gr1 instead. I'll rename the jobs so they don't use international characters, that should sort it out for me.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That`s correct Joachim, jobs should be named in English to work correctly.
We are working on other languages support, but for now is highly recommended to use English only.

Could you open a support case to make sure the log problem is caused by the wrong job naming?
Thanks!