Veeam Physical iSCSI and MPIO Setup

Post by EddyChong »

Hi guys,

I am planning to implement Veeam backup for a customer. And the setup is:

2 x ESXi
2 x HP P2000 iSCSI
- p2000A for VM
- p2000B for Veeam backup storage
1 x HP DL380 G8 (2 socket, 4 x 1G nic) Veeam Backup server, Windows 2008 R2 64bit

All VMFS volume will be read only to Veeam Server, for direct SAN access mode.

In ESXi I will configure iSCSI port binding for MPIO. And my concern is my Veeam server can it be benefit from MPIO (example 3 ports are used)? Read from P2000A and write to p2000B lun through that 3 ports. If yes, using Microsoft MPIO? I am still looking on how to configure MPIO and jumbo frame in Windows 2008 R2 but first i would need to know does it works this way or there is another better way of doing it.

If anyone has came across to similar setup, I hope you guys can shed some light for me. :D

Thank you
Eddy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Physical iSCSI and MPIO Setup

Post by foggy »

Eddy, here's an existing topic for you to review. However, I would make some tests prior to making the final decision, since there were cases where clients reported decreased direct SAN performance with MPIO.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for your test result. Further add on, the Veeam server is going to be Windows 2012.

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Actually, I was not going to perform tests myself, but rather meant that I would do that if I were you. ;) Only tests performed in your particular environment are likely to give fair results.