Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server - Domain access

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

Hi,

In the documentation : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
It say that the user running the backup has to have access rights set on the repository.

It seems to me like i can only specify users in the same domain as the VBR server is placed in.
Is this correct ?

If so, how does this work if the VBR isn't in a domain, or the we have multiple customer domains to secure ?

This page : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120 states:
The account that is used to authenticate against Veeam Backup & Replication must have access permissions on required Veeam backup repository servers. To learn how to configure permissions on repositories, see Granting Access to Repositories.
Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server uses Windows authentication methods of the Veeam Backup & Replication server to establish a connection to this server and to the backup target. It is recommended to create one user for each standalone Microsoft SQL Server or failover cluster with Veeam Plug-in.

This user gets access to the entire repository, does it mean that it can restore all backups, or All SQL plugin backup written to this repository, also some that are written by another user ?
Sinde its using windows authentication, does it work with a linux repository with immutability enabed ?
Have nice day,
Henrik
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server - Domain access

Post by PetrM »

Hi Henrik,

An account that connects to Veeam B&R from the plug-in server must have access to the repository on Veeam B&R side: added to the list of users having access to the repository. To connect to Veeam B&R, you should use domain credentials if Veeam B&R is in domain, workgroup ones if it's in workgroup, etc.

A user can have access only to its own backups: user1 will be unable to restore data from user2 backups even if all these backups reside on the same repository. The only exception is the case when user1 has "Veeam Backup Administrator" or "Veeam Restore Operator" roles, in this case he can access user2 backups.

Linux repositories with Immutability are supported by SQL plug-in.

Thanks!
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

Hi Petr,

The documenation page for configuring the plugin(https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120) says:
At the Backup Server step of the wizard, specify settings to connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server:
In the Veeam backup server field, specify a DNS name of the Veeam Backup & Replication server.
In the Port field, specify the port number over which Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server will communicate with Veeam Backup & Replication. By default, Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server uses port 10006.
In the Username and Password fields, specify credentials that will be used to connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server. The specified account must have the local Administrator permissions on the server.

I would expect that you have to specify a user that has local administrator rights, that is the SQL server in question ?
This would be the same user that has to have access to the repository server.

If the SQL server is in the PROD domain the user could be Veeamservice_account_name@PROD.LOCAL

But the VBR server is in the MGMT domain. So in the repository access windows i will only see the MGMT domain and not able to select the Veeamservice_account_name@PROD.LOCAL user
Or so i expect ?
Have nice day,
Henrik
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Henrik,

The phrase "The specified account must have the local Administrator permissions on the server." does not make any sense, I will tell our tech writers to remove it, apologies for the confusion. You should use MGMT domain user to connect to Veeam B&R server and this user must have access to the repository.

Thanks!