Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Veeam replication target data path

Post by HendersonD »

I know that the very first Veeam replication of a VM, SAN mode is used on source and target side
I know that subsequent replication jobs use SAN mode on source side and network (nbd) on target side
I have a physical proxy server with two 10 gig interfaces. One sits on a routable network (10.121.125.87) and one is on my non-routable storage network (10.121.126.87)

I have a vCenter with a cluster called "DR Cluster". In Veeam I have the replication job destination set to this cluster. This cluster has two hosts that have management network IPs of 10.121.123.46 and 10.121.123.47. I want to use Jumbo Frames for replication so I issued this command on the physical proxy server. This sends Jumbo Packets from they physical proxy server out its management port to one of the hosts via its management network. This command does not work indicating that Jumbo Frames are not set end to end
ping -S 10.121.125.87 -l 8972 -f 10.121.123.46

I am trying to figure out exactly where in this chain I do not have Jumbo Frames enabled. During a replication job, on the target side does the traffic go through the IP of the management network? Does it go through vCenter?
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Veeam replication target data path

Post by MichaelCade »

Do you have a proxy in the secondary location?
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: Veeam replication target data path

Post by HendersonD »

We do not. Our data center and DR site are 1/4 of a mile apart on campus and they are connected with fiber so we have a 10gig connection end to end. We are using the physical proxy to handle the source and target side. We also have a virtual proxy but it is used strictly as the guest interaction proxy