Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cag
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Conrad Gotzmann

Veeam Replication to DR Site.

Post by cag »

I need to get an understanding on how veeam deals with this problem.
Step 1 I am creating to new replica of a single VM. Lets say its 200GB in total disk space.
Lets assume I am set to retain 3 restore points.
Step 2 the second time the replication task run lets say 2 GB change based on CBT (Change Block Tracking)
Step 3 the third time the replication task run lets say 10 GB change based on CBT (Change Block Tracking)
Now what happens when the task runs the forth time and another 5GB changed.
As this process runs over the next 30 days how is the original 200GB consolidated so the next CBT size does'nt get bigger and bigger after the original replication.
I ask this becuase your DR site has limited bandwidth and I cannot complete new replica of the 200GB from scratch via wan.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Replication to DR Site.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Conrad, each and every time you run an incremental replication pass, all the changes are injected to VM's virtual disk files, all the previous changes are saved to a separate rollback file (VRB).

So what happens on the 4th pass? On the 4th incremental run your main VMs files will be updated with the recent changes, and after that your retention policy settings will be applied, meaning that the 1st pass rollback will be deleted.

Should more info be required, please take a look at our F.A.Q topic.

Thanks.