Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
thuizenga
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Travis h

Veeam Restores

Post by thuizenga »

Just curious if i am missing something or just running into a physical limitation.

I am doing some testing and when i select 4 vm's from a backup job to restore, it kicks of a separate task for each vm being restored but at this point the 4 jobs seam to run sequentially. Is there some way to have multiple restores going at one time?

For my test all the vm's are in the same job, using a single backup proxy and repository and all restoring to the same volume on the same host. I know one might say that in this situation one steam will be most efficient but that besides the point.

Also is it safe to say that a restore doesn't show you where the bottle neck is? I am only getting around 250 MB/s restore and i am trying to figure out if i can squeeze more out of the system.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Restores

Post by foggy »

Travis, restoring multiple VMs in parallel should work, I'd check the maximum allowed number of concurrent tasks on involved components (proxy/repository).
thuizenga
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Travis h

Post by thuizenga »

well under the same situations i can backup in parallel so i assume the same settings should apply to restores. If that is the case i will do some additionally testing, i just didn't want to keep trying different thing to later find out that it is a limitation.

Does veeam try to limit multiple sessions to the same datastore? Because my backups are usually scattered across different vmware disk volumes, where my restores were to the same volume.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you doing hotadd or network mode for VM restores? When the restore process is triggered is it going through the same proxy?