Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Veeam Server on Synology... it works... technically!

Post by Mgamerz » 1 person likes this post

Fun story time.

I installed Veeam Community Edition v10 on my synology diskstation this weekend. I put a Windows 10 VM on it and put Veeam V10 on it. It's a DS218+ so... not exactly high end... 10GB of ram (2 + 8) and a passively cooled celeron processor. The VM had 2 cores and 6GB of memory on a 4TB NTFS repo.

But it works! I setup a USB drive attached out the back to store backups on (I use the main storage for my personal use). It only took 3 and a half hours to install and another 6 minutes to load the console :lol:. Using the NFS repo in V10 let me store on the USB share the synology makes rather than having to use CIFS.

But for home backup (VAW) it works, I don't need anything high end like enterprises. Turns out veeam can run on a dual core celeron and 6GB of ram... maybe not well, but it works for me :D Also it's nice to already know how to use the product since I use it at work. Made setup very simple once I got all the firewall rules setup and accounts made on my local network.

Can only do 1 backup job at a time (when i have 3 computers that's not an issue) and I get about 20-30MB/s of throughput, which after the full backup is done is perfectly fine for me.

Just wanted to say thanks for making community edition :D
Sturniolo
Veeam Software
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Andy Sturniolo

Re: Veeam Server on Synology... it works... technically!

Post by Sturniolo »

Cool thanks for the update! I have a Synology NAS at home in the lab.. good to know!