Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Veeam SQL Restore Staging Server ?

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

We find out that when we want to restore a Database as an .bak File we have the follow Problems :

1. You need on the Staging SQL Server the space for the bak File . We have Databases with 1.8 TB , it is very difficult to hold 1.8 Space free for the case of an restore.
2. You must use the SQL Server on which you want to use the .bak File as staging server , when u restore the .bak File on an newer SQL Server and you try to restore from this file on an older SQL you cant find Restore Points .
3. It needs so long time to restore to an .bak File , is it normal ? for 450 GB Database we have to wait 1 Hour .

When we want to use the Veeam Backup Server himself as Staging SQL Server for our Database size the SQL Express Edition is unusable because our Databases are too big.
Is it possible to install an Full Version of SQL Server 2017 without licensing this Server , because there is no running active used Database on it ? This Server will only used for Restore Databases .

Our ERP Guys often wants .bak Files as an restore from the SQL Servers . Ist there another way to handle it ?

Thanks
Michael
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam SQL Restore Staging Server ?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
about the speed: that's hard to say. I mean I have similar speed ( 1-2 Gbit/s) in my lab, but it is running on spinning disks and it is a shared lab... I suggest to contact support for performance checks.

For the licensing question. Please understand that we cannot give licensing advice as there are too many options for correct licensing. Maybe this discussion can help you
Ist there another way to handle it
maybe... what is the reason that the ERP guys want .bak files? What is the issue with restoring / publishing the database directly? What I hear from customers is that the backup team does automated SQL restores for ERP systems. But I have not heard the frequent use case for .bak files as it is "double amount of work"

Best regards,
Hannes