Veeam Support - Case # 03085255

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Veeam Support - Case # 03085255

Veeam Logoby vsousa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 pm

I was working with a Veeam support rep and when TLS 1.0 is disabled on server 2016 the following warning is generated on the veeam backup server.
Failed to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log.

When I enable TLS 1.0 the backup completes successfully.
The veeam support rep advised to make the following changes in the registry which I did and the backup still throws the same warning.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Server\Enabled
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client\Enabled

I also tried setting up a UDL file test with TLS 1.0 enabled and it connects fine. When I enable TLS 1.2 and disable TLS 1.0 I get the following error "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. SSL Security error".
The Veeam support rep basically said contact Microsoft. So, does Veeam backup work when TLS 1.0 is diabled?
vsousa
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Vincent Sousa

Re: Veeam Support - Case # 03085255

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi,

Please try adding UseSqlNativeClientProvider 1 DWORD on the VM in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\ registry leaf.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 336 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 am

This is mostly about preparing the SQL Server itself for working with TLS 1.2 - if OLE DB on the SQL Server is fully patched and supports TLS 1.2, then it will just work. The easiest way to verify the compatibility is to perform "UDL test" (Google for it).

Otherwise, if your installation is not compatible with TLS 1.2, than the workaround is to use another SQL client instead, as PTide already mentioned.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2675 times

Veeam Logoby vsousa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you PTide. Adding that registry setting seemed to resolve the issue on that 1 server. Now I just have to make the change on the other servers.
vsousa
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Vincent Sousa

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication