Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ctjoyce
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Cameron Joyce

Veeam Unable to find VMs?

Post by ctjoyce »

Hello,

I have somewhat of an odd problem. I have two ESXi Vsphere clusters (One Vsphere 4.1, the other Vsphere 5). The 4.1 cluster is our original cluster, and Veeam has been backing this up just fine. The Vsphere 5 cluster is our new production environment. As we have moved servers from 4.1 to 5 we are updating their location in the Veeam backup jobs. On the same day we make the update of the location in the Veeam job the jub runs without issue, however the next day Veeam tells us that it can't find any of our ESXi 5 servers (though the 4.1 servers backup just fine). How do I fix this without removing and readding my servers every night?

Veeam Backup and Replication v5.0.2.230 w/ ESXi 5 hotfix running on Server 2008 R2 physical machine.

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Veeam Unable to find VMs?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, it looks like something happens with your VMs every night that triggers re-registration of those VMs on host. This is the only thing that may change the unique VM ID (by which VMs are tracked in Veeam jobs). Of course, as soon as VM ID changes, the job can no longer find it. Check out events on those ESXi hosts, maybe they can give you some hints.