Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Veeam v5: bank pool is full

Post by m.novelli »

Just got this error on a Veeam 4.1.2 upgraded to 5.0.0 with backup Job converted to incremental:

Details
Transforming previous full backup chain into rollbacks
Patch failed
Client error: Banks pool is full. Number of banks in pool: [248]

Server error: End of file

Patch failed
Client error: Banks pool is full. Number of banks in pool: [248]

Server error: End of file

Now I've deleted the Job and recreated from scratch as suggested by Release Notes when changing backup mode after upgrade.

Thanks, Marco
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Veeam v5: bank pool is full

Post by tsightler »

Was this a pretty big VBK? I hit this issue as well with a large VBK file. Do you happen to switch the block size as well? I think the most recent hotfix (available from support) has a fix for this.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

Yes, the VBK was 1 TB
I've opened the support request #542688

What you mean for "switch the block size"?

Marco
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

We hit the issue on a VBK file that was >1TB as well.

In the job properties, on the "Backup Destination" if you hit "Advanced" and then select the "Storage" tab with V5 you can now select to optimize for Local disk, LAN target, and WAN target. What this is really doing is setting the "block size" of the VBK. Previous version of Veeam always used 1MB blocks, which is now the equivalent of the "Local disk" option. LAN target uses 512KB blocks, and WAN target uses 256KB blocks. The smaller blocks sizes typically mean that incrementals are smaller and thus less data is transferred over the LAN or WAN at the cost of some CPU. Because we push our backups across sites we always use the WAN target settings.

I hit this issue on a large (~1.8TB) VBK file, when using the new WAN target option, but switching the job to LAN target worked OK. I'm surprised if you hit this issue with the default block size, but I guess it's possible since I don't know the exact cause of the exhaustion. Perhaps more deduped blocks might exhaust the pool earlier. My backup is large, but consists of just a handful of VM's that contain highly compressed data, i.e. images, videos and compressed archives, so I don't get very much dedupe or compression on the overall job.

Anyway, I reported the issue just a few days after Veeam V5's release and they produced a hotfix which took care of the issue for me. You should be able to get the hotfix from support as it's included in the most recent rollup patch, or hopefully 5.0.1 will be released shortly with a lot of these little fixes.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

Correct, me too I'm using the WAN target option on the block size

Marco
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

m.novelli wrote:Correct, me too I'm using the WAN target option on the block size
Right, so you could switch to the "LAN target" as a workaround, or support can provide you with the latest rollup hotfix for V5.