Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

Veeam WAN Accelerator

Post by dspringer »

Hey guys. I was asked today if anything should be noted for next year's investment planning regarding the Veeam server. There will be 3 data centers from external locations connected in the future. The Veeam backup proxy of the respective site will then back up the data locally in compressed form. However, the monthly backups should also be copied via Backup Copy to our main data center, where it is then written to tape at the end of the month.
From my point of view, our hard disk space is quite sufficient for this and offers enough reserves.

Only the SSD cache disks for the Veeam cache give me a bit of a headache. They are currently dimensioned to 5.5 TB and 99% occupied around the clock - that's clear so far. Should I plan more storage here with regard to the connection of the new data centers or not? Because the memory will always be full even then. The sites all have Server2019 operating systems and perhaps 5-6 VMs each, whereby the largest machine will always be the file server with about 2 TB.

What do you think?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam WAN Accelerator

Post by PetrM »

Hi David,

SSD for cache are not mandatory, you may refer to the system requirements. SSD for cache is recommend (but not required) only for many-to-one deployments, see this page of the best practices guide.

Thanks!
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

Re: Veeam WAN Accelerator

Post by dspringer »

Hi. The ticket can be closed. I had a meeting with an external service provider regarding hardening of the Veeam environment and asked him about it right away. He also referred me to the entry in Veeam that at least 10 GB should be scheduled per backed up server.

The fact that our Veeam cache is on SSD on all servers was a recommendation from the external service provider supporting us at the time and is being consistently enforced in order to have a homogeneous environment at this point.